Mouse advice please

Good quality neck snapping traps baited with cheese or whatever.

Throw the corpses in a place where nature can take its course.

You should get - with enough traps - 2-3 mice a night.

Don't be squeamish. 100% of mice die horrible natural deaths to which a neck snapping trap is vastly superior, and most mice die young, or we would be inundated with the blighters.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

how do you get the milk to stick on the trap?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I bought a S/H cooker rather cheap./ Nice one too. It had a dead mouse behind the control panel

I think the vegans who sold it to me were too squeamish.. but they didn't tell me about the mouse did they? Oh no.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

By getting Cadbury to embed it in their pseudo-chocolate. Fortunately mice are not fussy.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

What Cadbury are now purveying, is not chocolate. Not as we know it, Jim.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Horrible things mice, get a decent track ball. Much better and doesn't wander about the desk needing to be picked up and put back.

Oh, *that* sort of mouse...

Thet can get through surprisngly small holes, basically if they can get their skull through the rest will follow. If needs be they can dislocate the plates making up their skull but I don't think they do that routinely.

Bars of a mouse cage are a 1/4" apart, mice don't get through that sized gap, shrews do though... The small dimension of a normal wooden pencil is 1/4", the larger 5/16". That extra 1/16" might make all the difference.

We bought a couple, can't say it made much if any difference to the mice coming in. They could hear it, as trapped and caged ones would visibly jump when you switched one on but after that didn't seem overly bothered. No running about the cage, no paws over the ears, no hiding away, just carried on normal mousey behaviour.

The law is rather vague and/or confused on this. AIUI you are not allowed to relase "vermin" but there isn't a legal definition of which creatures are considered "vermin"...

Stop being a wuzz, either you want mice trailing piss where ever they go, crapping on every thing, nibbling anything that is nibbleable (pipe and wiring insulation to card or plastic food containers) or you don't.

Live trapping and releasing 100 m away doesn't work. We noticed this after catching the same mouse 3 nights on the trot (it had a nick out of one ear). Live trapping and releasing 3 miles away does but has dubious legal implications. We also have the abilty to release a good

2 miles from *any* other habitation. Combine live traping and three mile deportation with a cat and the mice don't come in as winter approaches.

Don't know if that because they detect the cat and keep away or if there aren't any mice outside any longer. Cat used to bring in a mouse for every half dozen or so voles but she hasn't brought a mouse in for 2 years or longer. She still brings in voles, shrews, baby rabbits, occasional small bird, so I suspect there aren't any mice out there any longer.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That doesn't add up if you think about it.

If there are gaps big enough for mice to enter the house, it doesn't matter how far you take them, there will always be enough mice living around the house to move in & take over from the last lot.

First find & fix the access holes. After that it doesn't matter where you release them.

Mice love sunflower seeds & that's what we use as bait.

We've tried chocolate & peanut butter, but sunflower seeds are a lot less trouble.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Tried these for squirrels/cats. Useless. Personally prefer breakback mousetraps baited with her chocolate. If squeamish, just throw the whole trap away complete with mouse.

Reply to
Capitol

+1

Anything else is just a bait/kill cycle.

Reply to
WeeBob

FFS its just mini chops with fur on.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We get mice in the loft every autumn when the fields are cut. Our neighbour tried one of those, and it worked for over a week.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Get snakes instead.

Reply to
F Murtz

Duh! Chill the house ;-)

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I build an ultrasonic rodent and cat scarer. it certainly did not work on the local cats, they turned up to inspect it. it did seem to make their ears swivel but they are inquisitive so managed to roll it onto its side and when it reaeind it filled with water and died.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

what are the mice eating? get metal bread bins etc. [g]

Reply to
DICEGEORGE

{Shudder}

Just don't ask

Reply to
David

The dead cat?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Update - for the first time last night there was no activity captured on the "mouse cam".

We have increased the amount of bait in the under sink cupboard and that has been consumed, but it looks as though the mice are no longer searching the house for extra rations.

Because of the change, we don't know if there are fewer mice or if they have been given so much food that their little fat bellies are full and they don't need to wander.

I am assuming that we will need to keep bait under the sink for a while after it stops being taken because we don't know if we have wiped out an in-house infestation or if there is a well trodden route in from the outside which will be picked up by "fresh" mice in the future.

Whatever, long term solutions are not our problem.

Looking back, I first posted on Thursday and it is now Saturday. Seems a lot longer.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

One of the Blighters had climbed 10 foot up a brick wall and then into a balanced flue and we found his or her remains in the boiler heat exchanger;(...

Reply to
tony sayer

We seem to be down to one mouse now - or perhaps more than one wandering mouse.

However we are into Day 12 and the last little bugger(s) refuse to die.

The Lil Acorn camera has proved its worth - now switched to 10 second videos and getting some footage which would be cute if they weren't vermin.

We have delayed having the house cleaned, but the mouse problem seems to be confined to the under sink cupboard now so it seems safe (subject to further camera monitoring) to get the ground floor deep cleaned.

I've poured two sachets of bait down the back of the cupboard, through the holes the mice are using, blocked up as much of the under sink access as I can with wire wool, and left some bait in the cupboards. Camera is monitoring.

I don't think we will know if the problem has been eradicated because the remaining mouse or mice is/are eating small amounts of bait each night, far less than one sachet, so the under floor stash may well keep it/them occupied for a good few days.

Makes the mind boggle about the number of mice originally because two sachets of bait a night were being hoovered up and the bait trays (lids from containers) were being moved around the floor of the cupboard.

All we can do is monitor for another week or so to see if any mice re- appear.

Glad it is not our house!

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to