MOTs on cars that will fail next one...

In the examples you gave it would be a danger to other road users or to yourself.

It doesn't cancel out any remaining test because as has been pointed out by others that's what the regulations state not because of what you may have done to rectify the problems.

Reply to
bert

You haven't quite followed this particular argument in which Adrian was arguing that driving a roadworthy vehicle without an MOT is not an offence. (3years+ old of course)

Reply to
bert

No as I said I couldn't remember what it is called but a friend got one. I think it was because of a u/s light BIMBW

Reply to
bert

So to go back to the original question from the OP. If he had this car tested and it failed the current MOT would still be valid and the owner couldn't be done for having no current MOT certificate. However if the owner was unfortunate enough to be pulled over, plod would have access to the MOT failure and would know what to look for on his vehicle.

Reply to
bert

I think we already know that.

Reply to
bert

That's the way I take it, yes; he has an MOT pass cert that's (just) under 12 months old, so it "has" an MOT.

Reply to
Andy Burns

No, he was arguing that your statement about an MOT fail invalidating the current MOT was rubbish. Which it is.

Reply to
Chad

Judging by some of the comments on this thread, it's best to reiterate even the most obvious.

Reply to
Chad

Care to quote exactly where I said that?

Reply to
Adrian

So, lemme be sure I know exactly what you're saying here, to save any misunderstanding...

You think that a rear fog light or a numberplate light being out makes a car "intrinsically unsafe"? Or a tyre that was damaged yesterday but has since been changed for a new one?

Reply to
Adrian

TBF, it's really only Bert who's lost his grasp on reality here.

Reply to
Adrian

Not so. Its illegal if it hasn't got an MOT, or isn't taxed, or has no insurance, or is being driven down a one way street the wrong way.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Also recorded are all the 'advises', because the next tester will see them when he logs on to his vosa account to enter details of the next test.

And the certificate is printed from the central computer this is the reason why post offices know that your car has a valid MOT when you try and tax it.

Reply to
Andrew

/Posted to the wrong group really. /q

Mea culpa.

Thanks for all the info. from everyone. Appreciated.

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

I do miss the good old days when you could just buy an MOT certificate and not bother with the test.

Reply to
ARW

Yes. Used to be a place in Surrey. You booked in. Bloke said "Come back in an hour". You went back in 50 mins and the car was in the same spot in the car park, stone cold, with a nice shiny MOT on the passenger seat.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I'd guess it still goes on in a different way. No reason why a bent garage can't just enter the details as a pass.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Or in my case, as a fail. And refuse to give the car back until massive amounts of unnecessary work was done.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Bet you weren't happy about them refusing to give the vehicle back. Not sure about the legality of that either? Surely they could just have had you sign a receipt saying they had explained the condition to you?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think the garage has overstepped the mark. Are you sure there is any legal precedent to keep a vehicle after a fail?

Even under the old red notice where the vehicle was deemed dangerous, they couldn't hang onto the car.

Reply to
Fredxxx