Motorised trimmer -pole length?

I bought one of those two stroke combined brush cutters + grass strimmer + hedge trimmer + chain saws. Engine at one end of the pole, cutting accessory plugged into the other end.

Trouble is the basic pole length is massive and it comes with a extra pole extender to increase its reach even further. The basic length is so long I find it only feels right if I hoist the pole over my shoulder. It feels really odd trying to use it. My grandson is 6' 2" and he complained the pole was far too long, so it is not just me.

I'm looking at shortening it down to a more sensible length, but could do with some feedback on how long is a normal length for these things for comfortable use.

Could those who have one of these please provide two measurements

  1. From the centre of the spindle of brush cutter up to the D handle or horns.

  1. From the above handle to the further part of the engine.

For reference the one I bought is the Maxtra 4 in 1 as sold on Ebay.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I have a Ryobi one of these, two strimmers, a brush cutter, a pruner (chainsaw on a stick), hedge trimmer. I have an electric motor head and a 2-stroke one, the electric is much better, I only use the

2-stroke at the far edges of our 9 acres.

My Ryobi's measurements are (approximately) as follows:-

brush cutter/strimmer to handle - about 700mm

handle to end of engine - about 600 mm

The handle is about 300mm above the join where the various different attachments are added/removed.

I'm very impressed with my Ryobi, it's easy and comfortable to use.

Reply to
tinnews

Which accessory in particular?

Presumably for strimming/brush cutting one needs the length to reach the ground.

For pruning or hedge trimming then they are front heavy - but that is partly because they are designed to reach the places you can't get to with your normal chainsaw or hedge trimmer, rather than act as universal replacements for these tools.

Reply to
John Rumm

The ones which work at ground level - the strimmer and brush cutter. Obviously for hedge cutting the long reach is a bonus, but it came with an extra extension to the pole anyway which I have yet to try.

Other than that it seems a good bit of kit, especially so for the price I 'won' it on ebay for.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I find on mine that with the strimming head on, the shoulder strap (which attaches just below the throttle trigger) is in about the right place to balance it.

Can you move the place the strap fixes?

(In fact I was actually worried it was going to be too short - since I did not want to have to stoop with the trimmer - as was the case with its electric predecessor!)

Reply to
John Rumm

other and connect to your rig via a balon and swr meter. LOL Just couldn=92t resist that one

Reply to
Kipper at sea

snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk used his keyboard to write :

700 + 600 = 1300

Which rather confirms what I thought (without seeming to brag :-) mine is 2050 end to end. No wonder it feels odd to use.

Now the full story...

I actually bought it back in January, gave it a quick test to make sure it worked, then put it away until last week. The first time I actually tried to use it the drive failed straight away, which I worked out was due to the rod inside the pole not being of sufficient length to engage properly at both ends. I got the supplier to send me a replacement pole out and found that was exactly the same when I tried it yesterday evening.

Cutting an inch of the pole length resolved it and I was able to use it for the first time - only to find it felt as if it was designed for an

8' giant to use.

So my next step now is to shorten one of the poles and its drive rod inside, down to a more sensible size.

So for anyone buying the Maxtra 4in 1 as sold on Ebay, you have been forwarned of the slight design flaws.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

You could swap it with me? I have a Fuji Robin brushcutter/strimmer that's way too short for me.

Reply to
Huge

You haven't got an extra extension bar in there by accident have you?

Usually the strimmer head (with its shortish pole connects directly to the engine bit

(you could add an extension pole in with mine - and that would also take it to the 2m sort of length)

Reply to
John Rumm

John Rumm formulated on Saturday :

No, it is one continuous length and a minimum of 2050mm. The pole is permanently fitted with the engine at one end then the cutting accessory at the other. The later items add about 2' to the end of the pole bringing it up to around the 2m overall length.

Instead of the accessory fitted straight onto the end of the main pole, you can fit a 1m extension followed by the accessory to provide even more reach.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

That sounds as if you have some wrong parts to me. I can't see how one *could* cut an inch off the 'pole' on any of the strimmers I have, the ends where they join together are specially shaped and/or have detents etc. If you cut an inch off then they wouldn't fit at all.

I looked for a "Maxtra 4 in 1" when I saw your first post but couldn't find it, can you post a more accurate reference or URL?

Reply to
tinnews

It is this basic unit, but with the optional heads.

Item number: 200301092155

The actual unit I got , if you can log in to ebay, was this one.

Item number: 200301108708

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield