Moss algae killer

In message snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Thomas Prufer snipped-for-privacy@mnet-online.de.invalid> writes

Yes - I know (hence the Brexit vote to leave).

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Well I managed to buy a banana with a bend in it yesterday :)

Reply to
alan_m

Wasn't it actually the unnaturally straight variety that was banned, as it blatantly and offensively failed the 'radius of curvature' spec?

Reply to
Ian Jackson

In Germany, EU regulations are strictly for other countries

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I find that it's listed as: "Eisendünger Moosverdränger 25 kg". That transliterates to "iron fertilizer moss displacer 25 kg".

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Local agricultural/horsey dealer sells 10Kg Ferrous Sulphate for about £12.

Downside is that it tends to kill the earthworms, AFAIK. Fine if you object to worm casts on your pristine lawn but they are useful for aerating the soil, which arguably helps to deter moss in the first place.

Reply to
Andrew

You may jest but ignoring EU based laws seemed a common trait in all countries except the UK where they were carried out to the letter.

Reply to
Fredxx

After a bit of looking for it, I now see that 25kg bags of ferrous sulphate ARE available, for typically £30 - plus various charges for delivery (some reasonable, some extortionate). I reckon that something like £35 total won't break the bank, and will last me a year or three.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

My first google.co.uk hit with ferrous sulphate 25kg is:

which at £18.95 + £6.50 carriage[1] (all including VAT) is a bit cheaper.

I'm sure with a further look you can get cheaper still.

[1] says: Our delivery costs are calculated by weight (KG): ENGLAND WALES & PARTS OF SOUTH SCOTLAND (MAINLAND) up to 25KG - £6.50 So not sure if 25kg would be £6.50!
Reply to
Fredxx

Good find! Their location took a minute or two to find (although the address in the photo of the bag provided a subtle clue!) - and I see they are in Cumbria. Deep, darkest South Bucks is a long way to hump it. [Other suppliers are also nearly as far 'oop North West' - or in Northern Ireland.] Will investigate true cost. I see that they admit that it might be lumpy (no problem for me), which is one of the complaints made by reviewers of other suppliers.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

I call "bullshit".

Thomas Prufer