Mortice Locks

Interesting info. I wasn't aware that PVC-u doors aren't fitted with BS3621 locks. Personally, I hate PVC doors, especially white. I had hardwood doors fitted instead, with BS3621 locks and deadbolts.

I repeat more or less what I said in an earlier posting - whatever precautions you take, a professional thief can be in and out of your property within 5 minutes, together with your most valuable possessions, so make sure that you conform to your insurance company requirements for the resulting claim. And remember that you're not allowed to shoot the thieves, but I think they're allowed to shoot you if you offer resistance, and then probably sue you for stress!

Terry D.

Reply to
Terry D

The insurance companies run a separate "approved lock" scheme for multipoint locks which meet their security standard but can't meet BS3621 for some reason related to the way the standard is written. I had the correct name for it somewhere and I think its somewhere on the Essex Fittings web site.

Reply to
Peter Parry

There was an article on the times website about a young girl being attacked in the night by a fox that had got into the house. Her parents were in the the habit of leaving the door open on hot nights to let some air into their house in LONDON!!! I'd have thought they were lucky it was only a fox that walked in.

Ben

If you take the old locks to a locksmith (or DIY outlet) you should be able to match them up with something there. If you don't fancy leaving your house without any locks, trace the outline of the locks and the positions of the holes onto a piece of paper.

DP

London is a big place. In some areas your front door would be stolen if you left it open, in others it's no worse than anywhere else. I certainly don't feel the need to sit up all night with a sawn-off shotgun. ;-(

Reply to
Dave Plowman