More OT madness.

Your little police poor diddums.

F Murtz

Small policemen are not much cop? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Weekend Troll?

Perhaps you think only big butch policemen with large hands should be firearms officers?

If we ignore the police angle, these are just women who are employed to do a job then disadvantaged because they are not supplied with the correct equipment including safety equipment.

If they were working on an industrial site and weren't provided with suitable equipment and safety gear, would you still be saying 'poor diddums'?

Given that the police have a very solid reputation for institutional racism and sexism they probably need a good kicking to get their attention and money is one thing that does usually get their attention.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

Why were they accepted on the course in the first place?

My Becky is petite & she had no trouble firing a Glock.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Why not? If it comes to a fight, with or without firearms, a strong, reasonably big man is always the best bet. Horses for courses - women are not physically equipped for active policing, the fire service, and quite a few other jobs were physical size and strength can be important. Men are not suited to many other jobs were women excel.

Reply to
Bob Henson

+1

In other lines of business I wonder if they'd be complaining equally if the hod was too heavy for them on a building site? Or the firehose recoil was too strong? And I say that perfectly aware that I probably wouldn't be able to do either.

Reply to
Scott M

I have it from a very senior policeman (retd) that female officers present a problem in many aspects of policing. Yes they're good for the touchy feely stuff, but when you're selecting officers to go in the big van to sort out a street barney, or planning a raid on some unscrupulous man-mountain's premises, there are problems. Pass them over and you'll get into bother (discrimination), include them and the effectiveness of the squad is reduced.

I think my friend here was telling it as it is.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Must be some background story there...

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

If they'd been sacked, because they failed the shooting test, because the guns were deemed unsuitable, I could see a case for compensation. As it is, I can only see a case for providing them with suitable guns.

What have they been "compensated" for, exactly?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Was that a Glock 17, as in this case, or one of the compact or sub-compact models?

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

The equipment is designed to do a job, maybe a slimmed down 22 pistol wont stop the terrorist they are shooting at.

I bet they would complain that the tiddly gun won't stop the axe wielding madman in body armour from getting to them.

Reply to
dennis

Should never have been employed in the first place. What use is a dwarf police(wo)man?

Reply to
harryagain

The obvious answer is to send them along and let them get beaten to pulp. Some dozy people only learn the hard way.

Reply to
harryagain

What? That there are different types of Glock? Maybe they should have been given desert eagles?

Reply to
dennis

They have what is suitable. Anything different will be unsuitable. As case of unsuitable people. You are a bloody half wit.

Reply to
harryagain

She is a paramedic with London Ambulance. She works for a little known section called Central Operations.

They are trained to deal with the more 'unusual' situations.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The Glock 19 was designed as a compact version of the Glock 17 for military and law enforcement use, where a smaller pistol is required. This would appear to be a prime case of where it is required.

Personally, I think they should not have won compensation on the basis of sex discrimination, as there are probably men who might have trouble handling the Glock 17 and women who wouldn't. However, they would IMO have a case for constructive dismissal on the basis of, as you say, being provided with the wrong equipment for their job.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Exactly! In any case the Police should provide staff with suitable equipment to do the job and that includes suitable arms. In this case a Glock G19 Gen4 would seem to be suitable.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

That doesn't happen because they watch each others' backs.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Wouldn't like to have tangled with this gun woman;!...

nb: You'll find quite a few ladies who can handle 12 bore shotguns fine at clay pigeon and other shooting clubs;!)...

Reply to
tony sayer