Moon Knife and Double glazing beading

Hi, I need to remove the beading to remove a double glazed panel. I have done this before using wide bladed scraper but this does cause some marking/damage to the beading. I have read that window fitters use a moon knife to remove beading. Can someone please explain how a moon knife is used to do this? Many thanks in anticipation.

Reply to
bri

you dont say which material timber beads will be pinned in place metal and plastic generally snap into a groove or slot

beads that are mitred in the corners are best bent inthe middle (not enough to kink or break obviously)

this helps to loosen the mitred ends which can then be pushed out

metal and plastic beads remove gaskets and push glass away from the bead and push the bead out of its slot with fingers

its generally easier to remove the long bead first

hth

felix

Reply to
felix

================================== If a 'moon knife' is a wide-bladed paint scraper with a half moon shape, like this:

you're already using the correct technique. You might find that a wide-bladed wood chisel is useful to provide an initial gap for the paint scraper.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero