moles

Was on youtube awhile back.

Reply to
CWatters

Late to this thread but thought I should mention the method my father adopted when we moved into a newly built house in 1954.

IIRC the procedure worked like this.

A tunnel was exposed by taking out a sod. A small amount of carbide was introduced into the tunnel followed by water. After the carbide stopped fizzing a lighted match was introduced and the clod quickly replaced.

The procedure was repeated across the garden and several times in the following weeks but the moles did disappear eventually.

FWIW I have tried tunnel traps in my present garden without success - the moles just dig round them, and connecting my car exhaust up to a tunnel for a considerable time didn't seem to have an appreciable effect.

I also still have some poison somewhere but I suspect that is the stuff that has now been banned. That had no appreciable effect either. I did manage to catch a live mole while dismantling a ruined stone wall on a neighbours farm but he persuaded me to set it free.

Reply to
Roger

look:

though that that bloke is selling stuff, and he's not going to admit that any of the things he sells don't work. He's wrong about sonic devices (which don't work) , but right about mothballs (which don't work either - expect a new molehill the next day, with a mothball on top of it ;-)

Regards Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

Won't work. The hills are just where they've pushed to spoil from their tunnels. Operating on the same theory I shoved a headless rat left by one of the cats down one of the mole hill holes. Having read up a bit more since on the eating habits of dear talpa, I think I was just giving him a meal. That's dear departed talpa, because a barrel trap got him, straight out of the box.

With apologies for intorducing headless rats into the conversation.

Regards Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

Modern car do not produce carbon maooxide.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The message from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

Well not very much, but the exhaust is not exactly life supporting either.

And not so modern cars are much the same. The car in question was a C reg Sierra and the incident in question probably about 1990. I have tended to ignore moles since other than flattening tumps that get in the way. Only this morning I met my neighbour out in his fields collecting mole hill soil for his sweet peas but I don't go to that length to clear the tumps, usually a good kicking is sufficient. :-)

Reply to
Roger