modern double glazing and heat/radiation

Whilst I understand that old-style single or double glazing may be direction of heat-transfer neutral - what about the newer glasses now compulsory in double glazing? Does this in any way act in a one-way manner so as to exacerbate the heating effects of a lot of sun as compared with older glazing?

Reply to
Simon Gardner

I think not. The idea is to keep heat in in winter and out in summer.

Its not made, and cannot I think BE made, directional.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm sure with the right coatings it can be made directional. I'm reassured to know it isn't.

Reply to
Simon Gardner

Not to conduction it can't. radiation may be a different matter tho.

However heat loss is mostly conduction/convetion. Heat gain may be radiation.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I don't think there is anything directional about the glass, but you may get some directionality if the sun is shining in through the window as a result of the "greenhouse effect".

Reply to
John Rumm