Mixer Tap strip down.

It's easy if you know how :-)

How do I get at the washers in this:-

(107k jpg)

I've removed the right hand tap assembly but that appears to be a dead end. It's been suggested that the spout pulls out ? there is also a small screw in the rear of the main body, I've removed that but still no luck ? Any pointers please ?

TIA

Reply to
Mark Carver

Do you mean it won't withdraw. Probably the washer has spread and its diameter is now greater than the threaded section.

Reply to
John

I've not pulled too hard on the spout yet.

However the tap assembly does not withdraw fully, you could be right if it's the tap (rather than spout) you refer to ?

-- Mark Please replace invalid and invalid with gmx and net to reply.

Reply to
Mark Carver

Not sure what you mean by a "dead end". There are two separate tap assemblies - each with its own washer - screwed into the central block. The spout has nothing directly to do with the washers.

To remove a tap assembly you will need to unscrew the bezel surrounding the shaft to get a spanner on the hexagon underneath. If the bezel won't slide far enough up the shaft to use a spanner, you'll have to remove the handle first. The caps which say Hot or Cold either unscrew or prise off, revealing a screw underneath which holds the handle onto the shaft.

When you unscrew and remove the tap assembly, the washer should be the last bit to come out. If you don't see a washer, it may have become detached - in which case you will need to retrieve it from inside the tap body with a hooked tool.

The washer probably attaches to the tap assembly simply by being pushed over a pin with a domed head - rather than being retained by a nut. This design unfortunately often results in the washer expanding, jamming in the body, and then pulling off when you open the tap. If you have a choice of replacement washer, get the smallest diameter which will do the job.

Reply to
Set Square

I get you are looking to stop water leaking from the base of the spout when in use? Thsiwill entail replacing the worn O-ring(s).

You will need to unscrew the collar at the base of the spout. Protect the jaws of some pump pliers with some rubber (e.g. inner tube). To avoid scratching the metal.

Remove the little screw. Move the spout to the left so it's over the left hand valve. [1]

Pull up (harder).

HTH

[1] One of these only is needed but both won't hurt.
Reply to
Ed Sirett

I couldn't remove the tap assembly from the main body

Right, thanks for the confirmation. (The problem is a dripping spout)

Yep, did that originally .

I suspect the washer has expanded, but is still attached to the assembly, which explains why the assembly does not seem to want to withdraw. I'll have another go.

Thanks Set Square and the others for your replies,

Cheers

Reply to
Mark Carver