Immersion heater problem

Hi,

I rent a house with an electic immersion heater that runs from Economy

7 at night and has a 1hr boost switch for daytime use. The water used to get scolding hot, which, although arguably dangerous, was great as it meant only a small quantity of hot water together with lots of cold water was required for a bath. The element and thermostat has recently been replaced (fitted at top of tank) and now, although the water is very hot, there does not seem to be so much of it so by the time a bath has filled the hot water has become luke warm and no cold water is needed. This means 1 hot bath and that's it for the day. I suspect the water does not heat up to such a high a temperature as before. The thermostat (manufactured by BACKER)is on its max setting and is 18" which is the same length as the previous one (PULLIN). I do not know the length of the element but the tank is about 30" so I guess the element would be 27". The element has a thermal cut-out device which I do not remember the old one having. Perhaps this is limiting the temperature. What are the implications of bypassing this device? Do different makes of thermostats have higher temperature settings? Any other suggestions/ideas?

Thanks

Reply to
gary.todd

AIUI - the economy 7 immersion should be fitted at the bottom of the cylinder (so it heats all the water).

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Are you sure you havn't now got an 11" immersion? Shut gate valve ru bath hot tap 'till it stops, buy cheap immersion spanner from bnq surround it with towel, remove immersion, check length, replace if lon renew if short. Open gate valve shut tap

-- Paul Barker

Reply to
Paul Barker

On 5 Mar 2005 07:55:38 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@freenet.co.uk strung together this:

E7 immersion heaters should be fitted at the bottom, although I think yours is a dual purpose E7 at night\standard in the day type.

Stick the boost on then.

Yep, immersions come in 11" and 27" versions so yours will be the 27" as the stat will be shorter than the element.

Nope, this is set to a higher temperature than the maximum temperature of the thermostat so it will not be doing anything to control the temp. It is a overload cutout for safety.

Er, other than extreme death by explosion?

Generally not, if they do there's only usually a few degrees difference.

Sorry, no.

Reply to
Lurch

Either increase the thermostat a little or give the heater more time.

It will need about 2 hours to fully heat up a the cylinder.

Do not defeat the manual reset cut out - it's there in case the main thermostat fails on.

Reply to
Ed Sirett