Mixer for two tap basin

You know the old style of basin - a single tap in each corner, about 40 cms apart. I am fed up with a choice of freezing or boiling water, and I want a mixer tap. What are my choices?

  1. Fit a new basin - yes, I know about that.
  2. Fit a temperature limiter on the hot tap. That would work for us, more or less, actually.
    That's a fair wodge of cash to sink into an old basin.

What other options are there?

Reply to
GB

Look for a cheaper valve?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Possibly:

(3) fit a mixer tap in one hole and a blanking cover in t'other.

Qualified as "possibly" as you give no guide about any aesthetic sword hanging over your head (or other bits of anatomy).

Reply to
Robin

Blank off one side, and fit a monobloc on the other.

Reply to
Graham.

how about two monoblocks. a his and hers?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Put the plug in the plughole and wash in a temperate mix of hot and cold.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Will a monoblock fit in the hole?

Reply to
Capitol

I found a thread on this at

You may have to register to view the forum, but the short answer is that it's probably not possible to find a monobloc to fit the hole. The solution undertaken was to fit a temperature limiting valve.

Reply to
GB

A standard monobloc (35mm hole) almost certainly not. But you can get mixer taps to fit smaller holes - definitely down to 25mm.

And there's always a grinding burr :)

Reply to
Robin

I don't think anyone doubts that answer if you mean a bog standard monobloc (which is all they seemed to have in mind in that forum).

Would you be content with lower flow rates? If so, you could have a look at mixer taps designed for motor homes, caravans and boats.

Reply to
Robin

Ebay?

Screwfix do a cheaper one:

By the time you change the basin, redo plumbing, tiling etc, a mixing valve sounds an easy way out. If you want an excuse to change the whole bathroom suite why didn't you say?

Reply to
Fredxxx