Mitre saw questions

Thinking of buying a DeWalt mitre saw fairly soon. There are a number of things which I can't find an explanation for.

(1) What's double bevel ? Eg DW708. (2) What's the difference between a compound and crosscut saw? Eg DW703 & DW707 (3) what blade (DeWalt) would be good for cutting chipboard and MDF?

Thanks.

Reply to
Rob

================= Just a thought......

Since you're asking about cutting chipboard and MDF a mitre saw might not be the right saw for you in terms of cutting width. Most mitre saws have a limited cross cutting capacity of about 12" / 300mm so if you intend cutting larger pieces for cabinets etc. a radial arm saw or a bench saw might be more suitable for your purposes.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

It means that the saw can be swung both ways rather than just one.

The crosscut saw has a wider cutting width, but check specs for depth and width carefully

If you mean plain material, the stock blades are reasonable.

If you mean laminated, then a finer blade with more teeth is preferable.

Regarding choice, I was shopping for a SCMS just over a year ago and came to a shortlist of the DW708, the Makita LS1013 and Elektra-Beckum. There was a new Bosch out shortly afterwards, which were I looking today, might go into the mix.

I looked at several reviews and also at the DW and Makita machines themselves in a large toolstore in the U.S.

- The DW was well reviewed, and has the advantage of a larger blade. However, it doesn't make a large difference to capacity for most practical purposes. I have a table saw for larger pieces anyway. There were concerns over its slide mechanism, and I found on looking at a model that had been on display for a while, the slides had become a little graunchy.

- The Elektra Beckum has an induction motor and is quieter than the other two.

- The Makita had a very smooth mechanism and also came out ahead of the other two in two reviews I read. It has a vertical stop and can be used to do a small amount of depth cutting to make halving joints etc.

In the end I bought the Makita, and it has lived up to expectations.

Either way, this is an important purchase as it is not a cheap machine, so if you can, find a place to go and look and touch.

If you can get there, there is the Axminster Power Tools show in Exeter later this week and all those manufacturers will have products there.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Head tilts left and right.

No slide, so narrower cut for blade size and no trenching facility possible (although 707 does not have this anyway).

FYI: The supplied 24T vlade on the 707 will do MDF and chipboard just fine. Wear a mask though. I have 48T DW707 blade too which provides an almost 'planed' finish.

If portablility is a big issue its worth paying attention to the size and weight a bit.

Alex.

Reply to
AlexW