MIT Engineers Discover How Shaving Soft Hair Dulls Even the Sharpest of Razors

Human hair is 50 times softer than steel, yet it can chip away a razor?s edge, a new study shows.

Razors, scalpels, and knives are commonly made from stainless steel, honed to a razor-sharp edge and coated with even harder materials such as diamond-like carbon. However, knives require regular sharpening, while razors are routinely replaced after cutting materials far softer than the blades themselves.

Now engineers at MIT have studied the simple act of shaving up close, observing how a razor blade can be damaged as it cuts human hair ? a material that is 50 times softer than the blade itself. They found that hair shaving deforms a blade in a way that is more complex than simply wearing down the edge over time. In fact, a single strand of hair can cause the edge of a blade to chip under specific conditions. Once an initial crack forms, the blade is vulnerable to further chipping. As more cracks accumulate around the initial chip, the razor?s edge can quickly dull.

The blade?s microscopic structure plays a key role, the team found. The blade is more prone to chipping if the microstructure of the steel is not uniform. The blade?s approaching angle to a strand of hair and the presence of defects in the steel?s microscopic structure also play a role in initiating cracks.

The team?s findings may also offer clues on how to preserve a blade?s sharpness. For instance, in slicing vegetables, a chef might consider cutting straight down, rather than at an angle. And in designing longer- lasting, more chip-resistant blades, manufacturers might consider making knives from more homogenous materials.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I'm surprised that razor-blade mfr's haven't gone in for zirconia blades (perhaps they have and it's passed me by). They'd have to be incorporated into the razor of course, a bit like a disposable razor, but they'd last a lot longer.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

So they'd sell fewer ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

But they'd charge more for them.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

clearly cutting edge research......

*puts coat on* :-)
Reply to
No Name

I'm clearly out of date!

Chris Hogg

That might be a strategy for a company that wants to break into the market. However, the established players like it just the way it is.

Reply to
GB

except most of the ceramic blades are for clippers, not razors, and most of the blades for razors are stainless, not ceramic, I saw one ceramic blade for safety razors.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Stainless doesn't hold an edge anyway.

Reply to
jon

Of course. Established players like to sew up the market.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Years ago it was common practice to strop safety razor blades, just as you're supposed to do with cut throat razors. As with using steels on kitchen knives I aways thought the idea of stropping was to repair these microscopic cracks before they grew any bigger.

michael adams

michael adams

Actually, I also notice that some electric shavers seem to lose efficiency after a few months, no matter how much you clean them. You can still feel the blades are quite sharp, after all they should self sharpen, but I suspect tiny edge deformations occur and the hairs migrate to these areas, being soft. Its also a well known fact that many rotary shavers cut better at lower speeds. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Wilkinson introduced FxDiamond blades about 20 years ago using an alpha diamond coat. They were around for about 10 years then disappeared from the market (with many fakes available since). A single blade would last anything from one to six months.

They seem to available now in somewhat different form:

Reply to
Jeff Layman

I sharpen my rotary shaver every three months.

Reply to
Bob Eager

How do you do that?

And how long do the blades eventually last?

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

I always assumed that the extreme edge turned over and stropping straightened it out.

Reply to
Max Demian

Indeed. Stropping a razor, as with running a kitchen knife against a steel is usually applied to both sides of the blade. Up one side and down the other.

Not that I've got too much of a clue myself but its whats going on at a molecular level in order for the blade to be straightened in that way thats maybe the interesting bit. As there isn't usually that much pressure being applied to the blade just rubbing it up and down a leather strop. Using a steel applies a bit more pressure admittedly.

michael adams

michael adams

Been sharpening it since new - 3 or 4 years. Original blades.

Google blade sharpeners for your model. A mesh thing you put in instead of the blade shield. Then run for a few seconds.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I wet shave daily and change my blade every 6 months or so. That seems long enough for me.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

soy boy beard