mirror, mirrror, on the floor

Hello,

I noticed the wing mirror on my van was slightly crooked and when I touched it it came off! Just the glass, the body of the mirror seems okay. So my question is what kind of glue is the best kind to glue it back? The glass seems to work as a mirror even though detached, It's socket looks like it's covered with a dark plastic film which seems firmly stuck.

TIA

C.

Reply to
Chade

Black silicone sealer worked fine to re-fix the wing mirror glass on my car about a year ago.

Reply to
AlanD

I've been using some Scotch double-sided adhesive foam pads for the mirror on the car for a long time now; I tried a few other glues first but I think the combination of vibration and the huge temperature differential that we get here was causing them to fail.

It's not factory perfect because the mirror then sits very sligtly proud of the plastic bezel due to the thickness of the foam pads (about 1/16"), but it's better than the mirror falling off :-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Try "STIXALL" it seems to have a very good reputation, looking at the claims on the cartridge it sticks everything to anything, even under water, will withstand temps from -40 to +150 and is permanently flexible =-O . I bought two yesterday to fix some PVC trunking to a plastered wall, haven't tried it yet but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. The cheapest place I found was Toolstation but there are other places stocking no doubt. Don

Reply to
Donwill

Thanks for your suggestions. Inspired by Jules I got some doubled sided sticky pads as used for sticking on number plates.

Reply to
Chade