Mirror, mirror, on the wall ...

Hi all

Anyone had experience of sticking mirrors to tiled walls ? I have nearly finished my bathroom refit, and want to fit a mirror to one fully tiled wall, preferably invisibly. The tiles are large at 60 x 30 cm, and very flat (I fitted them and I'm a pedantic bugger for such things).

I have some cartridge adhesive called Pro-stick 2000. It was given to me by the owner of a company that builds food retail trailers (burger vans etc) to stick some ally trim to a centre counter when I rebuilt my kitchen. It is a professional adhesive and they use it for everything. It grabs pretty much instantly, and sets to a rigid but slightly pliable bond. I'm pretty sure that once on, you would need to use some serious brute force to remove anything stuck on with it, so I was thinking of using it to secure my mirror to the wall.

So, is this the way that mirrors are invisibly fixed ? No issues with the silvering coming away from the glass, as it occurs to me that what you would actually be sticking is just the layer of silvering, and then relying on how well that is bonded to the glass ? Sort of like when you are sticking tiles to a painted surface, and you are actually relying on the paint bond to the wall. Any insights or genuine experiences appreciated.

TIA

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

It is what's done, but a special glue is used which is available from glaziers, which doesn't attack the silvering. Some of the standard glues and silicones make the silvering go black.

A couple of mirrors I've put up (screws not glue) have suffered with silvering vanishing along the edges over the years, due to condensation and corrosion of the silver I presume. Next time I put one up, I'll look to paint the back with something. It looks to me like zinc should work as a sacraficial anode on silver even better than it does on iron, but I haven't heard of anyone doing this before.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Best way would have been to fix it to the wall and tile round it. Unless it's round, of course. You can often get ready made mirrors that are an exact multiple of the tiles.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I got a tube of 'Mirror Adhesive' (gasp!) from my local glazier and the mirror is still on the wall after almost three years. However, I fixed it to the WBP ply I had part boarded the wall with and then tiled round it.

The manufacturer is Hodgson Sealants and they're on 01482 868321. The tube indicates that the adhesive would be ok for ceramics but warns that mirrors >1M2 should have permanent support. Perhaps a call to Hodgsons might provide some reassurance?

Arfa Daily wibbled on Monday 19 October 2009 10:38

The mirrors on my wardrobe doors are glued on using something. Could you test some of your stuff, say sticking the shiney face of a spare tile to the face of another tile. If that works, you should be good.

You'd probably be fine with a number of double sided sticky foam pads if they are good ones. Finish with a bead of silicone round the edge.

Reply to
Tim W

"Mirror Mate", from Screwfix et al Otherwise you burn the silvering

Posh(sic) furniture shop in Chepstow has a bunch of multi-panel bevelled mirrors at huge costs, and in every one you can see a big figure-8 etching its way in from the back...

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Thanks all for valuable input, especially for the reference to the manufacturer of the mirror adhesive. I had always intended putting a mirror on this particular wall, and had considered tiling around one, but I am also fitting two 4 lamp light bars, stage dressing room makeup style, and had not until recently sourced these, so was not really sure of exact location or size for the mirror. I think that I am quite happy with it being on the surface anyway.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

TLC do quite a decent version of those stage mirror lights. Not sure it's suitable for everywhere in the bathroom, though.

Dave Plowman (News)

Yes.use mirror glue.Its that simple.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mirror glue it is then ! The Screwfix reference might be useful, as they have a walk-in depot near me.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

> --

Yep, that's the sort of thing. I've actually got the ones I'm going to use now. They were in John Lewis. Bit dearer than those ones on the TLC website, but a bit 'chunkier' too. Like TLC's ones, they are rated for bathroom zone

3, which is where the mirror will be, so all ok there.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

got mine from the glazier who sold the mirror..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I used white silicone to affix a mirror to tiles in my shower - this was 10 years ago and it's still there and perfectly usuable - it's so I can have a shave in the shower.

Reply to
Phil L

I take it that it's at head height then ... ? d;~)

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Presumably those that liberate acetic acid as they cure.

Is the "silvering" silver these days or aluminium?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

always has been aluminium I think. At least in my lifetime.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher