sticking driving mirror on windscreen

I need to stick an extra mirror on a car windscreen for a learner driver. The one I bought from Half's lasted an hour before falling off even though I cleaned/degreased the screen with alcohol. Attempts with double-sided sticky tape not too successful so far.

Any suggestions how best to stick this thing on?

A few weeks ago I had a screen replace (different car) and they re-attached the mirror is seconds and it still there. Of course I neglected to ask them what they used to do that!

Reply to
dave

I bought some sticky pads for this from Hellfrauds a few years ago, and although they don't last for ever, they're good enough - the secret being to get the mirror and windscreen as clean as you can and heat them both up - I used a hot air gun on the mirror and parked the car in the sun for a while to warm the windscreeen.

Reply to
Huge

I got one of those Halfords mirrors and it stays fixed to the windscreen for around a year, then typically falls off on a very hot Summer day. It has one of those twist clips to pull the sucker away from the window making a vacuum. Is yours the same? Are you twisting the clip while it is pressed firmly against the windscreen?

Reply to
David in Normandy

Reminds me, stuck the rear view mirror back in my Wifes car a year or two ago using just plain old superglue, and its still there, still slightly wonky !! Had to use what was on hand at the time, as it fell off one Sunday evening and car was needed next day to drive 200 miles to and from a conference.

I cleaned thoroughly with meths first, applied glue, held for couple of mins. Had to do in the dark, should have got more light as I glued the base wonky, that was two years ago.

Always meant to remove it and use "propper" windscreen stuff from Halfords.

Reply to
Ian_m

Possibly because the mirror base is moulded into the screen itself.

You could try some urethane adhesive - something the same or similar to what they use to bond the screen itself.

Reply to
adder1969

If it's meant to be permanent, then go to Halfords (or apparently the Volkswagen official stuff is cheap) and buy real rear-window glue. Although there are other UV-cured glues that work on glass perfectly well, the real stuff is more elastic. As there's a thermal expansion problem with windscreens, using top-quality other glass glues will do a great job until Summer, whereupon it falls off.

Suction cup or foam sticky pads then.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Pop back to your local windscreen repairer and get them to do it. It'll only cost a couple of quid and lasts for ever.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Rather depnds if you are going to want to remove it at some point . If it is to be permanenet go to Halfords or another car accessory shop and look for a kit that consists of a small tube of glue and a piece of mesh . If you use this properly then it will NEVER come off . I have twice used this successfully on different cars and trust me .It works. If you want the mirror to be removeable then try something else like one with a sucker .or maybe silicone like they use for aquariums or for sanitary work .

Reply to
Stuart B

In message , dave writes

I have one for a temporary mirror in the van. It has a lever to increase the vacuum and has never fallen off, except when being removed

Its not rocket science

Reply to
geoff