Separate wall-stat and timer for CH radiator in kitchen?

The kitchen probably costs as much to heat as the rest of the house put together, so I plan to fit an electrically operated rad-valveto the radiator itself, along with a wall mounted thermostat and a timer, all in the kitchen, so that the kitchen radiator is semi- independant of the rest of the house.

Any suggestions on the parts I should buy - would a typical thermostat and timer such as the ones we have for the boiler do the job? I've never worked with these components before, but imagine it will be fairly clear once I read the fitting instructions and get to wiring them up - or will it?

Tony

Reply to
tonyjeffs

Yes, that would be fine.

If you only wanted to adjust the temp setting rather than switch it full off, some R wire round the TRV head run from a wallwart would turn it down, fed via the stat. Bimetal Stats need to switch mains as they need the N connection for hysteresis compensation.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

An electronic programmable thermostat would enable you to not have a timer and would allow you to set different temperatures for differing times of the days. They don't need a Neutral as they use a thermister instead of a bi-metal device - therefore low hysteresis Try looking at this - instructions can be viewed:

John

ordinary motorised valve will be as good if you can hide it somewhere.

Reply to
John

I'm wondering if a kick space heater would offer more and simpler options. I suppose only if it were already installed...

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I'm weighing up whether it'll actually work out, or if family would ignore/override it. Prob'ly the latter! Cheers Tony

Reply to
tonyjeffs