Mirror fixing

I'm currently looking at bathroom mirrors, and I like the idea of just a plain frameless one (about 600x400mm). However I don't like the fixing methods of the ones I've looked at so far - on offer seems to be either drilled holes which you put screws through with chrome caps, or plastic/metal clips, neither of which I'm keen on the appearance.

I still want it to be removable, but is there any reason why I can't just bond some metal clips on the back of it and hang it on a couple of screws? Is it going to damage the backing, will it be strong/durable enough? I was thinking of Araldite, would that be OK? Also found this option, but I'd rather not have to mess around ordering if it's not essential:

advice/experience gratefully received

Cheers, Martin

Reply to
Martin Robiette

When fitting a heating element to my mirror I had to remove the bonded fixing and refit further up,I used Super glue and a activator it has been there two years now with out a problem. This is the kit that I have mirror does not move

Alex

shards.

I think the screwfix adhesive is meant to be used in beads spread all over the back of the mirror. How about glueing it to a piece of ply or MDF and screwing clips onto that?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I'd agree; I think you need to spread the load more if you're glueing it.

As you're dead set on having invisible fixing, can one ask why you are so against having it fixed permanently? It wouuld look much better that way anyway as the mirror would be flush on the wall rather than sitting proud and/or maybe tilted where it hangs? Most people have a mirror in the bathroom, and it's not going to be so expensive that you can't afford to leave it behind when you move...

David

Reply to
Lobster

What surface are you fixing it to?

The last one I did onto tiles, I simply ran a few beads of silicone over the back and stuck it on (held in place with some tape until it dried). To get it off I would simply run a cheese wire behind it to cut through the silicone.

Reply to
John Rumm

Now that looks ideal - I'll have a search around and see if I can find a stockist...

Cheers, Martin

Reply to
Martin Robiette

The only reason I want to have it removable is so I can replace it easily if it gets broken for any reason or I fancy a change. I don't want to glue it onto my nice new tiles and than have a bugger of a job getting the adhesive off if I need to remove it for any reason! Just like to have the flexibility.

The fixing kit suggested by another poster looks like the answer...

Cheers, Martin

Reply to
Martin Robiette

Yup, tiles as well. Now that sounds like a good Plan B - never thought of silicone. If I can't find the aforementioned fixing kit I might give that a go.

Cheers, Martin

Reply to
Martin Robiette

If you apply silicone to a metallised mirror then you'll etch through the silvering. "Bathroom grade" mirrors have a plastic coating that avoids this, and these days almost all mirrors are coated like this. Easier though is to use a non-acidic mastic that's sold as suitable for mirrors - Screwfix do one.

Reply to
Andy Dingley