Miele door trim

I do wonder whether Miele appliances are getting lower quality. This is the third Miele appliance problem I've had shortly after the end of the

2 year warranty due to poor construction. Customer service was polite, but ultimately fell onto the "out of warranty" excuse.

This time it's a dishwasher and the door trim is pulling away:

Before I either start dismantling the door or submit to bunging over 100 quid to Miele, has anyone fixed a problem like this one?

The trim appears to fix into the body of the door with a tab on the trim rather than that torx screw. There's a plastic moulding behind the meta trim that has had a tab shear off it.

Reply to
Jon Connell

I have fixed stuff like that in the past with some sort of gap filling glue/foam/silicon. I'd be tempted to try "Gorilla" + clamp it up until set. It relies on moisture to harden, read the instructions. Don't expect to dissemble it easily in the future.

Sad to hear about Miele. They used to be the very best, no shortcuts in quality. I have a Miele washing machine almost thirty years old. Touch wood, never needed a repair.

Reply to
harry

First up "their" two year warranty is meaningless in terms of "your" rights under the appropriate legislation. It used to be called the Sales of Goods Act SOGA but may have been replaced. You have statutory rights under that which "may" extend to six years of "reasonable" use. Again that may have been updated.

Second their response is surprising given a statement by their chairman which was posted by someone, maybe on this Ng to the effect that build quality and reliability always were, are and remain their first priority.

Tem minutes of Googling should produce the updated SOGA and maybe the Miele chairman's statement, both of which can be used future correspondence. Technically your contract is actually with the retailer, and its in their faces you wave the updated SOGA. However given the chairman's statement Miele shouldn't quibble about a direct approach to them.

michael adams

michael adams

But the consumer protection rights are nothing to do with the manufacturer. It is the supplier who sold you the goods (ie the organisation with which you have a contract) who are liable under these acts not the manufacturer. If the manufacturer wishes to give a guarantee then that is separate. So many people get fobbed off that the product is out of guarantee and do not pursue their rights against the supplier which can last for up to 6 years in England and Wales and I think 5 in Scotland.

As it is out of warrranty, Jon should take his claim to the company that he purchsed it from quoting the Consumer Rights Act 2015 eg see:

I think the relevant section is 23:

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

So which word or words in the 18 word phrase

" Technically your contract is actually with the retailer, and its in their faces you wave the updated SOGA."

which you snipped, surprise surprise, from my original post, are you having the biggest difficulty with Alan ?

michael adams

michael adams

Pistols at dawn, guys?

The trouble with suing is that you'll need an independent engineer's report, which will cost as much as the repair. Depending on what the report says, you'll get that cost back if you sue (the supplier) successfully, but it's an up-front cost. Until you get the report, you don't know what it will say, and whether it will support your case.

When I needed a spare part for my Bosch dishwasher, I found an exploded parts diagram. That made it clear which parts I needed and how the whole machine went together.

I'm a real fan of Miele washing machines, but not their other appliances.

Reply to
GB

According to their website at least, Miele only sell through authorised dealers, which includes online sales.

So given the company's stated philosophy regarding build quality, which authorised dealers can be reasonably be expected to subscribe to, I very much doubt if any engineer's report should be necessary.

michael adams

michael adams

replying to Jon Connell, Joseph Chan wrote: Same t hing happened to mine (about 4 years old). Anyone has a good fix yet? I haven't figured out how to take it apart, and I wonder if it's worth my time to call the repairman, not know how much it'll cost to fix it.

Reply to
Joseph Chan

Can you please quote what you are replying to? YOU might see the whole thread on Homeowners Hub, but those of us (the majority) using an NNTP feed do not as the servers have expired the original messages.

Reply to
Tim Watts