microwave light

The light in the microwave has failed - I assumed it would be a matter of replacing the bulb as you do with a fridge or an oven. I undid a couple of screws and a small panel came off but there was no bulb there and the manual doesn't mention it at all. What's going on? Is it not user-replaceable? Mike

Reply to
shorepot15

Make, model etc..

Most of us are not telepathic!

Reply to
Toby

What, you mean some of you didn't pick up that it's a Toshiba ER-6M2U/ UW? About 14 years old. Mike

Reply to
shorepot15

Usually accessed by removing the outer casing not from inside the oven.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

A lot have an unscrewable hatch on the side of the machine for bulb access. If there's no hatch you need to take the whole outer cover off

- beware of the lethal EHT supply in them though. And note the bulbs are typically not SES base, but a similar sized appliance lamp base.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I asked a similar question here some time ago and the advice (unanimous IIRC) was that lethal voltages were around and it was best left alone. Buy yourself a torch. :-)

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Surely these days there will be a suitable resistor across any big caps to drain the charge in a matter of seconds? I'd be surprised if they were not safe after being powered down for a minute.

Reply to
newshound

There are usually resistors across such capacitors. They often go open-circuit.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Possibly but our microwave was made in "those days", probably about 20 years ago.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Really? Bet you can't guess what I'm thinking ?? WaveyDave

Reply to
Dave

And a 15 year old Tosh is probably favourite for having a hatch for the lamp, and the OP says it did have one. What I cant quite understand, if the hatch wasn't for the lamp, what was it for?

Reply to
Graham.

Was this cover on the outside, or inside the cooking cavity? If inside, then I think you have removed the mica window that covers the antenna on the magnetron. The lamp is usually on the opposite side to this, look for some holes in the cavity.

Reply to
Graham.

newshound used his keyboard to write :

The discharge resistors can and do fail/ go open circuit. when they do, the caps can store the EHT for many hours.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I suggested that to SWMBO when the bulb in our microwave went. Apparently that idea wsn't good enough.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In "those days" things were made properly and microwave ovens effectively cost about thirty times the price nowadays.

It's the ones today made by illiterate slave/prisoner/child labour to sell for £27.50 including import duty and a margin for the supermarket plus shipping from China you need to worry about.

But don't make any assumptions, don't take any chances.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

I see a vague empty vacuuous space ...

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

If you concentrate really hard I could tell you what your parents names are ....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The message from shorepot15 contains these words:

I have an old Panasonic that I inherited when my father died in 1995. That later went dark and after some years I eventually took the casing off to see what sort of bulb I needed to get. Turned out I didn't need a new bulb as the original was unscathed, just loose. Seemed it was not the first time that the bulb had come loose as someone had tried to restrain it with selotape. I just twisted it tight again and so far at least it hasn't come loose again.

Reply to
Roger

Toby (who is not telpathic it seems) never followed up with information when the OP posted it! But we knew he wouldn't.

At this very moment I read the label on the side of this 'er uwave cap. It reads:-

0.85uF WV. 2400VAC. Mmm Be careful.
Reply to
dave