energy monitor without the tree hugger crap

Want to get one of those whole house electricity usage monitors, the type that you attatch to the meter tails, tho i have seen more and more of the type with a photo diode that you place over the led on the meters that flash a red led to indicate the power usage (some weird rate of 800 times per kwh used apparantly)

but knowing what current i'm using would be handy to me rather than just cost,

i've read that some arent that accurate, obviousely some better than others, but searching through the available ones, it seems they are more interested in showing you how much your killing the planet rather than the money you are spending in doing so.

are there any of these monitors that dont have any of the hippy type tree hugging loonie appocolypse prediction type displays? i'm not interested in how much co2 im producing, i just want to see what it costs me to run this place and how much power i'm pulling in doing so, i will try to reduce the power usage but only so i can afford more diesel for my old mechanical injection engined, non cat'd motorhome :)

Reply to
gazz

Hello, I've used a couple of these

to work well, reported current is about right. You set your electricity cost and it reports cost in pence / hour. Alan.

Reply to
alz_deane

A simple clamp meter placed round one of your meter tails will tell you the instantaneous current you are drawing. A couple of sums looking either at your bill or a couple of readings taken a week or so apart will tell you your 24 hour average current draw.

Reply to
John Rumm

gazz explained :

There are a few different models for sale on ebay. The accuracy is limited due to the method of measuring - as in like a clamp meter around the meter tails, rather than in line. None the less they should be accurate to around 5% and easily checked against the actual meter itself. The count the flashes type should be spot on.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

There's nothing wrong with using a current transformer (clamp meter). The problem is they don't monitor the voltage waveform, so they don't know what the mains voltage currently is, and they don't know how the current waveform aligns with the voltage waveform, so they can't measure power consumption. They have to guess.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

so... Doesn't have a data output for long term logging though. I'm tempted by the Current Cost device as that outputs a data stream in apublished format that can be logged and also has a history within it.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice