Microbore

I have a heating system from 1988 - it has the small(est) pipes and the double entry valves in one end of the radiators (not a bad idea - seems to work well)

I would quite like to move a radiator about 10 feet along a wall. The walls are dry lined and the pipes are behind the plasterboard until they emerge into the valve.

To move the rad, I guess I need to cut off the pipes where they drop down the wall and extend them to the new location.

Question One: Should I use copper or plastic for this:

Question two: Should I try to cut and remove a strip of plasterboard and re-use it to cover the extended pipe route and the area of the pipe joint? Any tips on making this invisible?

Question three: should I re-use the double ended valve (Twinfast?) or change to conventional?

Many thanks to anyone who can build up my confidence to do this neatly.

Reply to
John

Copper as that is what already is there.

Just cut away the plaster board, fit new pipes and cover it. Wrap new pipes in plastic tape to protect them from plaster.

Use the double ended valve.

Reply to
IMM

In article , IMM writes

Use a stanley knife to cut the slot in the plasterboard, takes a few cuts to go right through but it is really neat and you will be able to reuse the board you cut out if you remove it carefully. You might need to drill a small hole to start it off.

When I first saw someone cutting a hole like this I didn't believe it would work, but it's definitely the neatest way to do it.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

If the system is working well the extending the length of the microbore pipes might cause problems, because if the pipe run becomes too larg relative to the othr radiators then not enough heat might come to the moved rad.

The double ended valves are trouble, one valve each end is better and a far wider choice of fittings is available. Although you seem happy (so far).

I have no opinion of the plastic or copper is you are keeping the pipes hidden. Trunking is sold to hide microbore pipe, but then the trucking is more obtrusive than the pipes!

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Reply to
googlebot