Mice & Air Bricks

[14 lines snipped]

Me neither. And in the 13 years we've lived here, I must have caught hundreds of the little sods (*). The only time there's a mess is if I forget to check the traps regularly and either the stomach contents digests its way out through the mouse and leaves a little puddle, or the flies get there first.

(* Despite repeated and assiduous blocking up of gaps, wire mesh over vents and so forth, they *still* get in.)

Reply to
Huge

But probaly not far enough. We used to take 'em down to the bottom of the padock, a good 200yds from the house, they'd come back in that night or the next. We now deport them up onto the fells (several miles from any habitation) they don't come back from there...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Trade you 20 mice a metre.

Reply to
Ian White

We can do our own mice, thanks.

But they're shorter than a metre ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

How do you know it was the same mouse coming back?

Reply to
Alistair Riddell

We got on first name terms...

Occasionally one will make a jump for freedom when being transfered from trap to holding cage. I skined the tail of one of the escapees catching it, I then saw it again for the next three days emptying the trap... It was this that really spurred us into the long distance deportation, which we started last winter. This year we've only caught about 4 maybe 5 and those where back in November. The first year here we lost count of the little beggers and where catching them right through from October to April.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I think even my big tom cat would have trouble getting them in through the cat flap if they were that big.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Field mice (brown, which is what our visitors are) non indigenous? Releasing of vermin, the web. Beggered if I can find an authorative reference now...

But may well help feed a family of stoats, weasels, several species of owl and other birds of prey, all of which we have up here.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , Markus Splenius writes

Of course there was a famous(e) website that had the ultimate use for a Henry vacuum, optical beam across the end of the hose and a tempting bait just inside, Mickey spies the bait, breaks the beam and Henry gives him his final suck into a half water filled collection bag.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

In message , Mary Fisher writes

>MaryGot any bells?

Reply to
Clint Sharp

"Dave Liquorice" wrote | > If you use a catapult mousey is on (over) your land when | > released, but a good distance away when it lands. | But probaly not far enough. We used to take 'em down to the bottom of | the padock, a good 200yds from the house, they'd come back in that | night or the next.

Trebuchet?

If the g force in flight doesn't kill it, the impact on landing should.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Vermin and weed tend to be subjective words, just think of them as things living in places humans don't want them. The 1958 act specifies the taking of "small ground vermin" which doesn't exclude what we think of as mice or rats except for dormice and shrews. The only reference to releasing animals is in zoo regulations and wildlife and countryside act 1981, non indigenous is the only obvious prohibition, which could refer to black and brown rat, grey squirrel and rabbit. Ownership of land is not mentioned.

AJH

Reply to
sylva

A rentokill operative told me the same story about the Bic pen... so holes in air bricks shouldnt present a problem for them.

Gerry

Reply to
Cuprager

Are we allowed to have such an offensive weapon - as private, mice hosting householders that is?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Just purchase a subscription to the Sealed Knot and you can claim it is being built for use in historical enactments. With some ingenuity you could get Tony Robinson and some experts in to build it for you.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

If they fit their heads through they can get through, since mice on the move are often young weanlings we are talking small heads here.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Which 1958 Act?

The WCA 1981 (as ammended) was the only authorative reference I could find last night. Nice outline here:

"sched9.html" lists the animals that are prohibited for release into the wild. I was surprised to see the Barn Owl on that list and two species of Porcupine!

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Not for the English Civil War you couldn't. Not that I'd want anything to do with that lot.

If I wanted a trebuchet I have access to far better qualified builders than the gnome. I don't rate his 'experts'. I and many of my fellows have been involved.

Hmm.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Touche, I am hoist with my head on your pike. Since we moved to Scotland and the kids have grown it has been some years since we last graced a re-enactment.

But surely if it only has to hurl miniature rodents the quality is immaterial? and if the work is free.....

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

It shows.

This is a d-i-y ng so you do it yourself if you wawnt one.

But believe me it wouldn't be 'free' if the gnome were involved. It would be as cheap as they could get because they use the 'glamour' of tv to try to persuade true (as well as poor) craftsmen to undercut their already modest costs. But someone would be paying for it, when it comes down to it it would be you.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher