Material ID

we have a cheap mitre saw and a 'metal' bit sheered off in use.

So I'm wondering what material this 'metal' is, it's dark grey, almost crystaline in appearnce and probably lighter in weight than aluminum. Tried aralditing it but that was useless obviously.

But what is this materal called, some cheap tools are made off seems to be a alloy-plastic-polystrene.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Probably what's known as Muckite. Real name Mazak? Cheap and easy to cast.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Mezak. aka pot metal or muckite..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But twice the weight of aluminium, basically, as it is lead based.

Reply to
A.Lee

Zinc based, actually, with 4% Aluminium and varying small amounts of Magnesium and Copper - but you're right that it is denser than aluminium.

Reply to
docholliday93

zinc based actually

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think its probably made from the same American Alloy as your spell checker is. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes used to be used a lot in Corgi toy bodies. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It's Monkey Metal.

Bill