Matching Bricks

I would like to Extend my house in the next year or so and I would lik
to find what sort of brick the house is built with so I can match th new with the original (17 years old)brickwork. A couple of 'spares lying in the garden have 'WESTBRICK' stamped in the frog, but thats al I have. What are my options to find the same or a good match. Cheers All
-- Gareth Jones
On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 15:49:27 +0100, Gareth Jones

Take it to a decent builders merchant with pallets of brick in the yard. If many houses local to you use the same brick the local merchant will have some.
God help me, mine is a London Brick Co one. Basically means half of every pallet is red rubble.

When I last extended I had to have the new bricks approved by the council as part of the planning process (originals no longer made)
Tony

On 2007-06-01 15:49:27 +0100, Gareth Jones

They are/were made by Ibstock.
Try contacting them and asking for some brochures or look on the web site. Then ask for samples. They will usually send them free of charge in a few days.

I needed to match some bricks for my conservatory and found out my existing bricks were discontinued. I then found out (after walking round numerous builders merchants' yards) that there are places called Brick Libraries usually attached to brick merchants. In the one I went to (in Luton) there were thousands of bricks (sliced) all arranged by colour. It was still difficult to get an exact match, but it was very near. Pity about the builders who didn't match the mortar when they built it!
John
said:

That's fascinating, thanks!
Mary

I found out about brick libraries when we were planning an extension (my house is made of reclaimed hand-made bricks. A nightmare to match.) We too have been to the Luton one, although there are others.
--
"If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." ~ Albert Einstein
[email me at huge huge (dot) org <dot> uk]

But in Bedford you're surrounded by bricks, surely?

No- mainly holes in the ground, and don't call me Shirley :-)
John
Gareth Jones wrote:

1. Local council / archives may still have original planning application - this should specify the type of bricks used for exterior finish.
2. Take spare brick to local brick merchant and ask.
Owain
Owain wrote:

should specify type of bricks they were *supposed* to use.
I still have something somewhere about 'taking tile samples to council before tiling roof'
That was 6 years ago.

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 15:49:27 +0100, Gareth Jones

You can ask the brick man to come and have a look. I assume taking a brick as others have said to the builders merchant will help.
There's some brick places online that will send you out a sample brick. :)