marine plywood bathroom

I am thinking of using marine ply over stud work around the end of the bath where the shower will be. The rest of the bathroom using standard ply where there will be no water. Both ply to be 18mm. What adhesive would be a good idea to use. The tiles are 600 x 300 porcelain and will go up 7 tiles high from the bath.

Reply to
jane

Why marine ply? You'd be better off using something like Aquapanel or Wediboard (Google for them)

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Thats fine., Use any old adhesive, though my favorite at the moment is evostik waterproof.

Mt tip of the day is yo use silicone to waterproof the shower tray to te wall before you tile.

Then use grout for a better looking finish.

This obsession for having waterproof walls and then tiling them is beyond me.

You use aquapanel when you Are NOT tiling.

Otherwise plasterboard is perfectly ok.

Marine ply is what I used for a different reason. Structural strength to attach a heavy shower tray to and form bits of an odd shaped enclosure.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Better would be a cement board. Cheaper (but just as good, really) would be WBP ply.

For plywood walls, I use BAL White Star.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

It is so that a minor grout failure means you just replace the grout and possibly reattach a tile. Using plasterboard, you normally have to redo the entire wall.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Vulnerable to rot though.

May be bad for tropical forests and their (ex) inhabitants too...

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Not really. The plasterboard dries out and te tiles hold it all together while it does so,

Ive DRENCHED plasterboard in plumbing accidents. It recovers well. Only if the water settles on it for ages do you have a real problem.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher