marble refinishing

anyone had any success cutting/shaping and finishing off (to a reasonable standard) marble surfaces?

I have acquired a piece of marble ~15mm thick to finish off the "tap end" of the bath where previously a lot of daft awkward-cut tiles were bunged in with silicone etc etc and leaked.....

The bit I have is salvage and has some minor surface scratches and a few stains - assuming I can cut it with (of course) the angle grinder

+diamond blade / elec tile saw :-

what are my best options for dealing with surface stains and scratches? can you sand it with fine wet and dry?

then how best to polish/seal? for use in the bathroom??

thanks in advance

JimK

Reply to
jim

Go and find a tame monumental mason (bloke who does grave stones). He'll tell you how to do it - and will probably do it for you for a small fee.

Chances are that that you'll need a water-lubricated saw to cut it, anyway.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Marble cuts easily with a wet tile cutter. Within the limits of the thickness that can cope with obviously.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, it polishes with all the usual abrasives.

Wet and dry, and T-cut ;-)

I didn't bother finishing mine. But maybe lithofin stuff is good.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Cuts OK on a tile saw.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I was given a Victorian, marble washstand and cut it out to accept a modern basin. Angle grinder plus diamond blade cut through the marble like cheese. The marble though had a couple of rust stains and no amount of cleaning and chemicals could shift them (yes I tried the classic Oxalic acid). Even tried skimming the whole surface down a couple of mm, only to discover that marble is a porous material and any staining can go deeeep. Binned it!.

Reply to
john