Corian sink repair

How do I buff out or repair a corian sink edge that has been burned slightly by a hot pan rested on it.

Reply to
kheffner

Art

Did you even look at your lame link to find out it has no information about repair. Closest it comes to answering the OP question is to say not to put hot pots on the surface. I think he already knows that.

The general wisdom on countertops is that once you buy all the required abrasives and power buffer needed to remove the defect and then polish the surface, you will have spent as much as a pro and have lots of leftovers. Then there is the issue of skill, do you think you can make it look good the first and only time you will do it. Corian also has the option of color matched fillers if required, you'll never get that in the retail world.

If it is a real shallow burn, you might try some rubbing compound but even this might dull the finish.

Reply to
PipeDown

The Corian mechanics say use a Scotch brite and some elbow grease

Reply to
gfretwell

I guess you didn't look deep enuf:

Beyond that he will indeed have to call a pro.

Reply to
Art

I found that, it still has nothing about repair. It is strictly care and maintenence. This is the page that says not to put hot pots on the counter I referred to.

Reply to
PipeDown

Right near the end it discussed sanding pads.

In my opinion, you're wasting your time. Contact Corian. They'll fix the counter.

I don't know how old yours is, but mine exploded (cracked) a couple of years after I got it. (Microwave heated the counter.) Corian fixed it no questions asked. Total cost ZERO.

Reply to
Dan Espen

You gave up too early. Sanding instructions are on that page.

Reply to
Art

Art, maybe he wanted you to cut and paste the instructions for him???

Removing Minor Cuts and Scratches* Because the solid beauty of Corian® goes all the way through, Corian® surfaces are completely renewable. You can remove minor cuts and scratches yourself by following these instructions.

Judge the severity of the scratch and start with the finest grit sanding pad to remove the scratch. (The color of the pads from roughest to smoothest are: White, Yellow, Green, Peach, Lilac, Blue, Gray.) Rub over scratch in a straight line to remove it. Periodically switch rubbing direction 90°. Be sure all of the scratch is removed. If this first step takes too long, try the next heavier grit sanding pad. To minimize dust during sanding, wet the surface. Rinse pad periodically to clean residue.

Clean top with water. Select next lighter grit and repeat process. Rub over a larger area to blend in sanding.

Continue process using successively finer grits until desired gloss level is achieved. Rinse out all pads used and air dry before putting them away.

Sources for materials mentioned above:

Cleaner for DuPont? Corian® SCI (800) 839-1654

Clean EnCounters® SCI (800) 839-1654

Abrasive pads Micro-Surface Finishing Products, Inc. (800) 225-3006

Countertop Magic® Magic America Corp. (800) 321-6330

Hope?s Countertop Polish The Hope Co. (800) 325-4026

Enhance Countertop Polish EMS ? (800) 643-8818

Hope?s Countertop Polish The Hope Co. (800) 325-4026

SoftScrub® Local supermarkets

Green Scotch-Brite® Local supermarkets

*For large defects and repairs or for complete routine professional refurbishing service, contact your local Corian® sales expert.
Reply to
Darrell Dorsey

Well I could give him a fish or I could give him a fishing rod. I did the latter.

Reply to
Art