Oil-Fired Water Boiler Decision

I'm going to install a new oil-fired water boiler and have been presented two options: A Columbia (model CSFH-4150W) and a Burnham (model V84). The Burnham is $300 more than the Columbia. I'm hoping someone in this group could offer me their advice on which one is better. Thanks for any help.

-Harding

Reply to
Harding Bancroft

As I remember, Columbia makes only steel boilers. Burnham makes both cast iron and steel.

If the Burnham is cast iron and the Columbia is steel, that alone makes up the cost difference.

Most folks think that cast iron boilers will last longer.

Steel boilers will typically last 20 to 25 years. Cast iron boilers typically last 25 to 40 years.

Will it make a difference in your case? Only you can answer...

If the quote is for one of the Burnham steel models, I'd look at the published efficiency ratings and go for the most efficient one.

Doug

Reply to
Doug