Mapping the deforestation footprint of nations reveals growing threat to tropical forests

Mapping the deforestation footprint of nations reveals growing threat to tropical forests by Hoang & Kanemoto, 29 March 2021, Nature [Abstract] Deforestation, a significant threat to biodiversity, is accelerated by global demand for commodities. Although prior literature has linked deforestation to global supply chains, here we provide a fine-scale representation of spatial patterns of deforestation associated with international trade. Using remote sensing data and a multi-region input?output model, we quantify and map the spatiotemporal changes in global deforestation footprints over 15 years (2001?2015) at a 30-m resolution. We find that, while many developed countries, China and India have obtained net forest gains domestically, they have also increased the deforestation embodied in their imports, of which tropical forests are the most threatened biome. Consumption patterns of G7 countries drive an average loss of 3.9 trees per person per year. Some of the hotspots of deforestation embodied in int'l trade are also biodiversity hotspots, such as in Southeast Asia, Madagascar, Liberia, Central America and the Amazonian rainforest. Our results emphasize the need to reform zero-deforestation policies thru strong transnational efforts and by improving supply chain transparency, public?private engagement and financial support for the tropics.

David P

<snip>

Mostly to either graze cattle for their flesh or to grow food to feed livestock for their flesh ... when we don't need to eat animal flesh.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Reply to
Fredxx

If we want to says Amazon rainforests we should use less in direct food products, rather than the lesser amounts used in animal feeds.

Soybeans also reach our tables as oil?which represents around 27% of worldwide vegetable oil production.

China imports the most Soy.

Eating meat might actually reduce deforestation. As well as getting your daily fix of vitamins. It's win-win to eat meat.

Reply to
Fredxx

population Brazil:

211 million in 2020. 93 million in 1970 31 million in 1920.

This is the main driver for the destruction of the rain forests. Not helped of course by Brazil not being in anyway unusual.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I did mean save and not "says", damn spelchucker.

It has been said most of the UK was forested until man came along. Brazil is just following our lead.

Reply to
Fredxx

+1

Its also being realised that intensive farming solely for food crops is destroying the soil structure so incorporating a period where the land is given over to grazing animals will be beneficial.

Reply to
alan_m

Tell Tim to look up Jethro Tull but I think something of the sort has been practised since the Bronze age!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Apparently so. Evidence from 6000 BC indicates crop rotation and fallow periods were in use then.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher