Makita RIP

My 14.4v Making Combi died yesterday. Sob!

We have been together over for 4 years, every day, drilling thousands of holes.

I wish now I hadn't dropped him from a ladder last year, or left him in the rain before that. He didn't deserve that.

Sadly missed, he went as he would have wanted to, drilling a hole.

I wondered if it might be the brushes? If you pull the trigger nothing happens, but if you twist the chuck it starts?

Can I resurrect Mr Makita?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You could try spraying some contact cleaner in through the motor cooling slots and running it .. but be aware it might create a flame or three to start with! Spray the trigger switch too if you can get close enough to it.

We used to do this often with electric motors working in dusty or very dry environments.

If you fancy opening it up, bearing in mind you've little to lose, check the trigger and it's contacts. One I fixed recently had a plastic part of the trigger broken, not allowing the trigger to press the metal strip switch together. Quick repair with epoxy and job's a good 'un .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

But NOT WD-40... :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Undo those black plastic covers toward the back of the machine (the round ones about the size of a 2p), you can then pull out the brush and check.

i.e. Level with about the 3cm mark on this one:

John Rumm

Frank Erskine wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

This may be a silly question but why not? WD40 is the first thing I'd reach for.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

At that age and level of use that would be the most probable cause of the type of failure you have observed.

Reply to
Peter Parry

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember The Medway Handyman saying something like:

Brushes are cheap enough to find out if that's the cause. Just take out the old ones for a look, you'll soon see if they're short.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

'cos WD40 is a basically a water dispersant. Although it's also a cleaner, it's more likely to create a paste of elecrical/carbon deposits and f*ck the motor good and proper rather than dispersing them. Contact Cleaner cleans off carbon deposits from the brushes/comm quite easily, but is a solvent with a low flash-point so might 'flame-out' a little .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Well, it *could* be worn brushes - or a dirty commutator. But it's more likely to be a duff winding. If it stops with a brush facing that winding, it won't re-start. Move it round to a different position, and it's ok. That sounds like your symptoms to me.

Reply to
Roger Mills

If so, a new motor will probably not be that expensive.

Reply to
John Rumm

"Paul - xxx" wrote in news:94evcnFg3uU1 @mid.individual.net:

Well I live and learn, thanks for the tip.

Reply to
Chris Wilson