making thicker bleach (shower grout)

Emboldened by this endorsement, and the others here, I bought some of this in an attempt to remove some mould from the silicone sealant around our shower tray.

Fuck me sideways, it works!

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

On 30 Jun 2016, Jonathan grunted:

No, it's definitely more than just that. Believe me, I've tried

*everything* over the years and the HG stuff absolutely knocks spots off everything else (no pun intended).

It's absolutely brilliant; but what I *would* say is that for really bad attacks I've kept going with daily applications for ages (couple of weeks?) to get good results; however that's for silicone which a few years ago I'd have written off and replaced (which as any fule no, is a job from hell to be avoided at all costs)

Reply to
Lobster

+1

It is good. Mould doesn't return, at least not in the short term, whereas it would have with just plain bleach.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I have most of a kilo of borax that I bought at a hardware store a few years ago. I'll tell people not to lick the tiles.

Reply to
Adam Funk

So much so that I bought 100gm on eBay last week.

Reply to
Huge

Yes, of course. It used to be used on baby bums, ISTR, and boric acid solution was an eyewash, etc. I don't know when it became toxic, or what one would need to do for it to be dangerous.

But the USAnians can buy a two-plus kilo box for four US dollars, anywhere laundry detergents are sold -- it's an "all natural laundry booster". Much easier to pick up a box there; no ebay required, no postman etc.

And borax is about as natural as bleach, which decomposes to oxygen and table salt, ISTR.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

borax is less toxic than table salt.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

No:

says:

"RISK PHRASES R60 May impair fertility. R61 May cause harm to the unborn child."

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Found naturally in Death Valley, California, where I was earlier this year standing on the salt flats, so white.

Given the fuss they make on labeling cables with 'Handling the cord on this product will expose you to lead, a chemical known to the State of California to cause [cancer, and] birth defects or other reproductive harm' I then might be surprised they let people visit.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

I see we have a moron. When you know the LD50s for borax & NaCl, and know what the deal is behind the fertility nonsense, get back to us.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Borax: "/OTHER TOXICITY INFORMATION/ Fatal doses for humans are variously estimated to be 5 to 6 g for children and 10 to 25 g for adults."

Sodium chloride: "The estimated fatal dose of sodium chloride is approximately 0.75 to 3.00 g/kg."

Furthermore, LD50 is not perhaps the best measure of toxicity in this case.

Now f*ck off.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Variously estimated versus LD50, which is actual real data. Need I say more.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yeah -- though being found naturally doesn't make it safe. "Natural" being equated with "safe" is just wrong...

Nonetheless, I'd visit Death Valley, and also use borax.

But the original point was that supposedly bleach doesn't kill mold -- it does, spores, too.

And that one should use a "natural" cleaner instead. One consisted of borax, baking soda and vinegar: The mix of baking soda and vinegar will foam impressively, and not do much else. And borax: good fungicide for the long term, but water-soluble and washed off tiles and grout too easily.

So, unsuitable, hard to get, expensive, when compared to bleach.

The other "natural" alternative offered is hydrogen peroxide, which is also not nearly as readily available as bleach, particularly in anything above 3%.

I don't know why borax is now classed as reprotoxic -- but I do know that hydrogen peroxide is a lot less available than it was previously...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

asbestos, hemlock, ...

For some reason hydrogen peroxide is now only available (at least in pharmacies) as 6%.

Reply to
Adam Funk

bleach is far cheaper, and the logical option for tiles. Diluting it & rinsing it off are counterproductive of course.

some of us do. In short it's baloney.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I've started spraying hydrogen peroxide on the grout & sealant recently, & that seems to work better.

Reply to
Adam Funk