simple way to provide mains delay?

I have a flow switch providing detection of DHW draw off.

I want it to operate a pump ... but not straight away (i.e. small am mount of DHW drawn off) anybody know a simple way to delay a main signal.

If it were LV could do it easy with an RC circuit, but this is all 220Vac

Can you get relays with a built in delay ? (220V coil)

I could create a LV supply and timer cct but wondered if there was a simpler way.

Reply to
rick

555 timer driving a solid-state relay, or 555 timer driving a bipolar transistor driving a conventional relay
Reply to
Graham.

Time Delay Relays are common - £20 upwards - look at RS components or I'm sure many others.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

NTC thermistor perhaps?

THere's a few ways that involve thermal mass instead of a capacitor to create a delay.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There are loads of different timer relays in the CPC and RS books (for instance). Many are multifunction. I don't think there's any permutation that can't be done. You want one called 'on delay'.

From the manual for a gadget I made last year:

"On delay relay (Relay 4). When the external supply comes on it is connected to Relay 5 after a delay. When the external supply goes off it is disconnected immediately."

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Agree but then need LV to power the 555 as explained trying to do this all in 220V ac

I just found this item ....

anybody used these, may do what I need

Reply to
rick

So this thing

is likely to be what I need ... cheap enough

Reply to
rick

That looks alike a LV coil and AC contacts.

Is that what you wanted?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

there are several. Provide more detail.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes except it only has a series of fixed delays rather than infinitely variable.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

No the illustrated one says it has a 220V coil. Personally I'd want one that was 235V if it's going to be activated for long periods.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I thought it was only going to be activated whilst the hot water was running? Does that qualify as "long periods"?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I suppose it depends on teenage daughters.

Or sons, these days.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

# Ordered one of the ones I listed ... only a £5 They use an OMRON timer which are well used I ordered a 200-230vAC coil with 5A contacts

Reply to
rick