making thicker bleach (shower grout)

I've been working on tidying up the grout in the shower by applying thick bleach with a paintbrush, leaving it for a while, then rinsing it off. I'm wondering --- would it be more effective if I made it even thicker so it stayed in place better, & what is a good way to do that?

Thanks, Adam

Reply to
Adam Funk

Add washing-up-liquid... say 1 or 2 to 10 bleach to water+"lots" of washing-up liquid.

As the bleach acts, it reacts to salt, which thickens the washing-up liquid -- or something...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Baking soda? It seems to be latest "New! Improved!" ingredient in bleach the shops, maybe you could add enough to make a paste?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Scrap that.

HG Mould Spray - £3.99 free delivery

Works very well!

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

+1

On our third one.

Smells like bleach, but I reckon there's a long-term fungicide in there as well that's not included on the list of ingredients.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

MSDS says bleach plus lye (aka caustic soda) -- it may just work by attacking the mould more aggressively because of the lye.

Don't know if a fungicide wouldn't have to be included in the list. I would have thought so because of the importance of knowing that, in case of a large spill running into a stream/pond/river... anyone know definitively?

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Never mind, I'm going to try hydrogen peroxide & baking soda (seen on the intertubes).

Reply to
Adam Funk

I'll get some if the hydrogen peroxide & baking soda trick doesn't work. I usually use a "daily shower spray" as a preventative measure, but let it go a bit too long recently.

Reply to
Adam Funk

It's bleach

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

+2 excellent stuff, as is their scale remover
Reply to
Davidm

Adam Funk wrote in news:epjf4dxgl5.ln2 @news.ducksburg.com:

I have never had to do mine - wht is the underlying difference? I never use bar soap - only Sanex and gels.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Never had to do ours either, and we're at the far end of Cornwall, where humidity is always high due to the proximity of the sea, and black mould grows in any place where air movement is restricted, like behind wardrobes etc. It's residual moisture and humidity in a shower/bath room that allows mould to grow. The sides and floor of our shower cubicle get wiped over after every use, to remove most of the wetness, and the extractor fan is allowed to run for an hour or so afterwards to dry out the shower room (it has no windows).

Reply to
Chris Hogg

However, bleach does not kill mould.

There are natural solutions, should you wish to DIY.

First on the search list...

...Ray.

Reply to
RayL12

Did the O/P actually have mould to kill, or just want it whiter?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Wrong question, wrong method. Slosh a little thin bleach on & forget it. Do it each night until it all looks like new.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I want it white & have been assuming that the dark bits are mould/mildew. I'm open to correction on that.

Reply to
Adam Funk

It most certainly does -- both mold and spores.

Using borax? Eh? A quick google:

"Borax is no longer available to the general UK public and has been classified by the ECHA as a "Reprotoxic Category 2".

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

They could possibly be algae... though those tend to green or brown.

Bleach will sort those, too.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

As on cue, BigClive is currently advocating washing ya feet in it. Oh hang on, that's Boric acid ...

How to fix your feet. (Plus bonus purple flames.)

Adrian Caspersz

A dose of thin bleach shoud do the job. if your house is damp you need better ventilation and a more frequent application. If it is very damp, move.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer