Making a crank stronger

I was thinking of making the black bit out of solid steel. It all depends on what bearing I can find. There used to be a couple of very large bearings that I will look for.

I think I'll be using pipe with about 6mm wall.

Reply to
Matty F

Yes that was the first idea I thought of. It all depends if I can find a bearing bigger than the existing mandrel.

The existing setup works OK for about a year, so my improvement should do the job. But I'll see what the motor guys have lying around. I did think of having a large weight spinning around at 300 rpm but that could go horribly wrong.

Reply to
Matty F

Well it's either a steam engine converted to run with an electric motor, or it's an earthquake house. But why would we want artificial earthquakes when we have thousands of real ones? (Because those are a long way away!)

Reply to
Matty F

I dont have the tech knowledge of the guys that have replied, but.. At the moment you appear to have an easy fix (replacing the bolts) if you stiffen the mechanism and this transfers the `damage` elsewhere then that could be a much more complicated and costly fix. Some mechanisms have a `weaker` part to protect the whole. could the bolt be likened to a fuse in a plug? Anyhow thats my non technical input.

Reply to
SS

What you need is an eccentric like they use on steam engines.

A big bearing with a central disk bolted to the shaft with a few bolts offset by half the required stroke and an even bigger disk around the outside connected to the rod. It depends on if you have a big enough bearing.

Reply to
dennis