Make a shiny PVC surface matt?

I covered up our nasty artex ceiling with some tongue-and-groove PVC cladding. It's not brilliant, but it was an easy way of hiding what was there (which was truly awful), and I'm happy with it. I'd be a bit happier, though, if it wasn't so shiny when the lights were switched on. It makes it look almost glossy, which wasn't the effect I was after (I did buy matt panels). I was wondering if there's something I can paint over it that will be mostly transparent (it has an unconvincing woodgrain pattern, which I would nonetheless prefer to keep visible), but will take the shine off it? I think buying tins of matt varnish would probably cost a fortune, and might even damage the PVC.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

If you've got a few offcuts left, you could test out a matt spray varnish such as this ...

It seems to be available from B&Q/Homebase/Amazon etc

Reply to
Andy Burns

I had a photographer that took loads of food product pics with glossy packaging and he used a similar product to stop them glaring, seemed to be successful enough.

Reply to
ss

He probably used a polarizing filter. They can remove a lot of reflections as long as its not a metal surface.

Reply to
dennis

Looks good, although I'd prefer not to spray it.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Stuff used in TV was called AntiFlare. An aerosol of, I'd guess, a type of wax. Think it got banned. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Similar products still available, but possibly not the original forumaltion

A very very fine abrasive paper would probably matt the surface - or even polish with something like brasso

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Reply to