Mains Interconnection Box

Continuing on from my multiple pull-switch saga ....

I have a need for a box in which I can connect power to a 12-position Click Minigrid panel containing both switches and associated low-current fuses for some of the fixed low power appliances and lights. I have ordered all the Minigrid parts from

as nobody else appeared to stock all of the items I needed (just an honest plug).

There will be the usual T&E going to the panel, five straight-forward live switched circuits out and a fan isolator switch so a lot of circuits to bring up the wall. I will run them through 32mm plastic oval conduit chased into the wall.

All the appliances are already installed along with necessary wiring in the attic of my bungalow. To make connection tidy, easy to identify and easy to maintain my plan is to bring the five straight-forward circuits into the attic from the switch panel using single core 1mm brown double insulated wire with red sleeves.

All wires will carry numbered idents, there will be a connection/circuit chart in the box lid as well as appropriate external warning labeling and reference to the CU MCB number.

All the wires will need to terminate and distribute out to the appliances in some sort of box in the attic for which I have hunted high and low and without success. So, after all that, is anyone aware of a suitable metal box that can mount on a joist, ideally with quality terminal strips already mounted?

Any general comments about my plan would also be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Reply to
mail-veil

In message , snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com writes

I'd probably use a largish metal adaptable box, a length of DIN rail and use DIN terminals.

Reply to
Chris French

Why the red sleeves? Brown is the "new" live. Think about the neutral(s), this sounds like a kitchen so there could be some reasonably chunky loads.

Shouldn't the switching be double pole anyway?

Does it have to be metal? The Drayton wiring centres are quite good. The LWC1 has 16 way and 7 way terminal strips.

Dave Liquorice

To signify that they are switched live.

It is for a large 3m x 2m bathroom where the entrance door is a long way outside zone 2. The largest load is 200W for an electric towel rail, the rest are for lights, shaver point, shower pump and extractor.

Why?

No I don't think it has to be metal, certainly a preference (from my military background!) but flame-proof plastic should be adequate so thanks for your idea.

I also like Chris French's suggestion; I had not come across the term "Adaptable Box" until yesterday - SF has something suitable on their site except they are no longer available!

Amazing how a fresh search can reveal things that hadn't appeared before .. these look good to me with added terminals:

Mike

Reply to
mail-veil

The sleeves indicate that a conductor you might otherwise expect to be neutral is in fact live, not whether it's permanent or switched. Red would have been used on old blue/black/yellow cables, you'd use brown if you had grey/black/blue cable but you already have brown!

Reply to
Andy Burns

True Dave. I have always added them onto a wire that provides a switched mains voltage; so not necessary but not wrong is it? Mike

Reply to
mail-veil

In message , snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com writes

I think Dave was thinking it might be a kitchen and that you would be switching appliances such a dishwasher or a washing machine. It is a rather crazy amount of switches for a bathroom :-)

Easily available though.

I usually fidn things after I've done a job...

I've rather lost track of how many terminals will be needed in this box though

Reply to
Chris French