Mains gas areas?

Reply to
Bob Eager

If they can afford to buy a house they're unlikely to qualify for a WF grant (which are actually up to £2700 but the scheme admins claw back a sizeable chunk from the installer so from the punter's pov maybe it's only 'really' 2500)

Reply to
John Stumbles

Entirely Incorrect. If the OP is over 60 they qualify for a maximum grant of £2500 It has got FA to do with being able to buy a house. Ever thought that the OP maybe trading down.

JP

Consider your criteria. How long do you expect to be living at the new place? Under a decade - no serious problems ; over a decade and you're going to be tied to an energy supply that travels through several countries of decidedly unstable government. Unless Putin successfully re-nationalises them, which is probably not going to happen this side of a nuclear war (at least, considering the Ukrainians I know). I work in the oil business, finding and appraising oil and gas field in the half-decade or so they typically get to bring from seismic to market, and on the basis of that, I wouldn't reject a property because "it's got no mains gas", despite that I hate using electric for cooking. Over the time periods I'm likely to spend living in a new house, I wouldn't be sure of there being any reliable mains gas supply to the entire country, let alone a particular street.

Reply to
Aidan Karley

|>> In addition the OP maybe entitled to a grant up to ?2, 500 for gas |>> central heating on the warm front scheme. |>

|> If they can afford to buy a house they're unlikely to qualify for a WF |> grant (which are actually up to ?2700 but the scheme admins claw back a |> sizeable chunk from the installer so from the punter's pov maybe it's only |> 'really' 2500) | |Entirely Incorrect. If the OP is over 60 they qualify for a maximum grant of |?2500 |It has got FA to do with being able to buy a house. |Ever thought that the OP maybe trading down. |

This scheme is for households with children (or expecting a child) in receipt of an income-related benefit and people recieving a disability benefit.

To qualify the householder or partner must be in receipt of one of the following benefits and have a child under 16 or be in receipt of a maternity certificate (MATB1):

Income Support; Housing Benefit; Council Tax Benefit; Income Based Job Seekers Allowance; Working Tax Credit (with income less than ?14,200), Child Tax Credit (with income less than ?14,200).

or the householder or partner must be in receipt of one of the following benefits:

Disabled Persons Tax Credit; Attendance Allowance; Disability Living Allowance; Industrial Injuries Disablement Allowance (which includes constant attendance allowance); War Disablement Pension (which must include the mobility supplement or constant attendance allowance); Income Support (which includes a disability premium); Housing Benefit (which includes a disability premium); Council Tax Benefit (which includes a disability premium).

The grant maximum for WARM FRONT is ?1500.

A package measures is covered by the grant, which depends on the construction of the home and existing heating and hot water facilities, these measures may include:

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

someone look stupid by doing a bit of research, and finding conflicting information, but as usual he has got it wrong, the correct amount is £2,700 ( or up to £4,000 if your home needs oil central heating). For the correct details, have a look at the following link:-

Harry Stottle

Scotland?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Don't believe the Alex Salmond hype. The vast majority of Scottish voters back Labour, always have and always will.

If I hear that man say "The people of Scotland want independance" once more, I'll slap him the next time I bump into him in Tesco!

Reply to
Alan

Reply to
jethro_uk

I don't think so, else I'm never going in my kitchen again :o)

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Russia, Ukraine, Belarus. The UK is at the west end of the major pipelines ; the Poles, Germans, Dutch, Austrians and French will take their cut from the pipelines before it gets anywhere near UK jurisdiction. The Norwegians have plenty of gas. What they don't use for themselves mostly gets piped to Sweden/ Denmark/ Germany, and some is piped on to the UK. North Sea / Irish Sea / Rockall/ Porcupine/ Slyne-Erris/ Celtic Sea gas reserves - that's my business. My interpretation of the business is that supplies from "inshore" to the UK are not going to expand sufficiently to meet demand growth, and probably won't maintain their current level (some very big sources are in significant decline, and the replacements are relatively small scale). Net deduction : we're already reliant on imported gas, and that's not going to change. Net further deduction - time and effort spent on worrying about a particular house having a "mains" gas supply is wasted time and effort, unless you're only thinking about a 5-year timescale.

Reply to
Aidan Karley

In message , jethro snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com writes

Umm...

Around ten years back, I was reluctantly blessed with a 48" gas interconnector. During the discussions about compensation it became apparent that these pipes are oversized for the simple purpose of moving gas as they also fulfil a storage function. During periods of low demand pressure is built up.

Needless to say, no landowner payment was forthcoming for this part of their function.

I hope future generations may benefit if Transco ever try to pump anything other than natural gas in breach of their wayleave:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I think you mean

Reply to
Cornelius J Rat

I beg to differ. The natural gas distribution system is tiered ,as you would expect. Localised low pressure network is usually 30mb or less dependant on area/network. There are also localised medium pressure tiers up to 75mb from which domestic and commercial supplies may be fed though domestic supplies at this pressure are in the minority. Above that we are into the 7 Bar tier. I can assure you there will be no domestic supplies at this tier though some large industrial users have direct 7 bar supplies. Next tier is upto 20Bar. The 7 and 20 Bar tiers are used for localised and regional transmission. About

20bar-40Bar and we are into national transmission territory.

Incidentally, there are urban and highly built up areas of towns and close to city cdentres which have mains in the road up to 20Bar. There could be one passing your front door or even in your back garden if a wayleave exists. HTH

Reply to
Psst