Magna Booster - Do I need One??

I put a Magnaclean on my mum's CH - when I swapped the boiler I spent a long time flushing the system through, and I then followed the Keston advice to add a Y-strainer. Every few weeks this would clog up with something the consistency of grease. In the end I took it out and replaced it with a Magnaclean which doesn't obstruct the flow as it collects stuff.

Yes, I know that this shouldn't be necessary in a perfectly sealed system, but in this case some of the under-floor pipework dates back to the 1960s, compression jointed. There's no major leak - system needs a top-up every few months. Ideally the pipework should be all replaced and the system zoned, but with laminate and vinyl floors the disruption would be horrendous.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

The Magna Boost is a much suoperior to the Magaclean

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Did you clean the system properly as per the boiler maker's instructions? The 'grease' has to be coming from somewhere and a magnaclean or other such product ain't going to sort the source of it. And if some form of chemical reaction is taking place sooner or later you'll end up with having to replace everything...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's definitely the kiss of death for Magma Boost.

Just shows the type of cowboy plumbers you hang round with if they need to fit such a thing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But still requires cleaning every few weeks of the "grease" or isn't it trapping that? The "grease" is probably bacteria. Not overly convinced that any iron corrsion products are magnetic either.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Wonder how much 'iron' there is in a modern central heating system? But in any case, inhibitor prevents that corroding. Dribble probably doesn't get any commission from sales of that. Or it's not as 'sexy' a product...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The only real change in domestic CH systems for the last few decades has been the move to low capacity boilers with heat exchangers made of ali. Copper tube and steel radiators have remained pretty much unchanged.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You must eff off as you area known Jocko plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You must eff off as you are a known Jocko plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Low water capacity boilers were around in the 1960s. Some aluminium heat exchanger are around, but most now are going to stainless steel spiralled tubed. Impurities in the system can be baked on the insides of these tubes, reducing efficiency. I have seen some totally blocked because the system was not cleaned or protected. That is why it is important that a Magna Boost is fitted, protecting the boiler's heat exchanger. In the long run it protects the boiler and reduces gas consumption. It also protects the pump as well as the rads, catching the harmful magentite.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It's that purple stuff again.

I think the OP must have a pretty clear picture of you by now...

Reply to
Bob Eager

You are a stupid person.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Have you tried putting leak sealer in? It can bung up small weeps.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Have you never heard of inhibitor, oh one of the tiny mind?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Don't think its tiny, just fried by the electroconvulsive therapy during his days in the institution

That's before he was let out into the community during the daytime

Reply to
geoff

You are a known Jocko plantpot and must eff off.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Maxie, have you got back from Paddybanding? Fantastic. Have you polished your turned down wellies for the night? How many pints of Guinness did you have tonight?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It could be brain stem damage caused by years of alcohol abuse. Would account for the way he keeps repeating things. Or perhaps he really is just the village idiot.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

OP, please note. This is the person who recommends the Magna Booster.

Say no more.

Reply to
Bob Eager

No reason why both statements cannot be true of course. I find it very amusing when he changes the "From" line in his posts obviously considering this will make his posts untraceable. He's such a dumbarse that he doesn't realise how people can spot that he is the author of the drivel he posts.

Reply to
Steve Firth