Magna Booster - Do I need One??

My mum has had a recommendation from a British Gas engineer to fit a Magna Booster to her central heating - which apparently removes lime scale from your central heating system and 'stops it from blocking up'. The charge for this is £250 parts and labour. She lives in SW London - the water is quite hard.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I'll second the idiot bit though.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

You're right - that was another thread....

Thanks!

Reply to
Bob Eager

In message , Doctor Drivel writes

Which brochure did you lift that straight out of ?

Reply to
geoff

Maxie, it was a brochure that had turned down wellies and donkey jackets in it.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Yes he is an idiot - much like yourself. I know-it-all who knows f*ck-all.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Has anyone opened up a Magna booster and found this pile of mythical sludge?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I know-it-all who knows f*ck-all.

Says it all really.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Doctor Drivel" saying something like:

*Quality* typo.
Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Typo? Looks like he just had a moment of clarity!

Reply to
John Rumm

He's now trolling uk.legal using the nym "Facts". He can't seem to understand how he gets spotted so quickly when he changes his nym.

Dimmer than a 1W CFL is Drivel.

Reply to
Steve Firth

The second one, useless gimmick.

We live on the South Downs. The water is harder than in London. THe CH system has been in place for 25 years with only a change in boiler to get a more modern unit a few years ago. There's no sludge in the pipes or radiators. I know because runs of pipework were taken to pieces for checking when the new boiler was installed.

As others have said, the water in the CH system does not get changed, hence there's no problem with limescale or sludge.

Ignore Drivel, he really is a drooling retard.

Reply to
Steve Firth

This pervo needs locking up. Tagging is too good for him.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

This pervo needs locking up. Tagging is too god for him.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It is not mythical, it collects magentite on the magnet. The Magna Boost is the best, catching magnetic "sludge" and other solids. It is easy to remove the sludge, in the annual service.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

If you're de-sludging annually, your inhibition needs looking at!

Does an inhibited system generate enough sludge to warrant a magnetic trap?

Is the Magna booster a reasonable trap? (seems likely enough, although massively over-priced) Is BG installation fee reasonable? (seems equally massive, IMHO).

Reply to
Andy Dingley

If you're de-sludging annually, your inhibition needs looking at! (seems likely enough, although

The unit is made by Spirovent who make industrial units as well. They make quality products. £250, when unit costs say £110 is fine for a drain down and refill. That is £140 for the work which can take some time depending on the system. And you may find they put new X-100 in as well.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I know one installer who puts pressure reducing value on the system set to

1 bar and leaves it open. He puts 2 cans of X-100 and a Magana Boost. He will instructs the homeowner to empty the filter using a bucket and turning a tap until only clean water comes through. That way he has no call backs at all and the customer has a clean system. His get out is that the PRV is for fillup only and he left it on by mistake.
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Magentite? A sort of purple sludge?