Maffs question

catchment area times depth of rainfall, more or less.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

|On 16 May, | "Chris B 33" wrote: | |> I'm from sunny Newcastle. We have a spare reservoir up here (Kielder |> reservoir - its very nice). Why don't you ask if you can borrow it for |> a while? We never use it. |> |> |> (no really - northumberland has a spare reservoir. its kinda funky |> really) |> |I thought a link was put in from the Tees (Worsall) to the Wiske, to feed |Yorkshire's colander. So I think NW has sold it out to the leeky tykes.

Well Yorkshire Water have done a good job replacing the old cast iron pipes with plastic round Shelf/Bradford. I have watched them do it. Other bits of GOC too.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

The message from "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot" contains these words:

Who or which or why or what?

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Guy King contains these words:

'fraid not. It is the catchment area that matters (and the rate at which the reservoir is being drawn down by usage, wastage and evaporation). The reservoir is 85% full so requires another 1035 million gallons to fill to capacity. The reservoir dimensions are just a cleverly disguised red herring. :-)

Reply to
Roger

Yes. Any of those. Especially why.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Because I thought "Who better to answer a question like this than someone called Weatherlawyer?" but I didn't want to put you on the spot so I disguised it as an open question.

Just as well.

;)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

I can't help feeling that you're deliberately missing the point here, Mr Philopho...Phlophsis...The.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Is the Akond of Swat?

Is he tall or short, or dark or fair? Does he sit on a stool or a sofa or chair, or SQUAT, The Akond of Swat?

Reply to
Steve Firth

The message from Steve Firth contains these words:

Does he beat his wife with a gold-topped pipe, The Akond of Swat? When she let the gooseberries grow too ripe, or rot.

Reply to
Guy King

Whatever the answer is, it is completely irrelevent. The reservoirs just hold river water for immediate use on the surface. The south of England, where the drought is, gets most of its water from the Chalk Aquifer, which is like a huge underground reservoir. It is the aquifer that is empty. Filling it will take several years. There is not enough river water to supply SE England.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

We just need to bore a long tunnel from the SE to the NE where, I believe, the water table is rising due to vastly reduced industrial usage.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

If we did it right, such tunnel could provide water overnight and be used for a high speed underground railway during the day.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

On 18 May 2006 07:19:33 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com had this to say:

Hey - hands off _our_ water...

:-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Look - you either give them the water or they come and live in your street...

Geo

Reply to
Geo

On Fri, 19 May 2006 18:19:57 GMT, Geo had this to say:

The only trouble is that they would waste it all in their leaky pipes.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

|On Fri, 19 May 2006 18:19:57 GMT, Geo had |this to say: | |>On Thu, 18 May 2006 18:56:19 +0100, Frank Erskine

|>wrote: |>

|>>Hey - hands off _our_ water... |>>

|>Look - you either give them the water or they come and live in your street... |>

|Well... | |The only trouble is that they would waste it all in their leaky pipes.

Then they have the brass neck to blame it on 150 year old Cast iron pipes. Every city of any size in the had the same sort of pipes fitted at the same time. London just did not bother to replace theirs with better pipes.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop