Whinge warning!

Just collected my new combi expansion vessel and it's the wrong one!! I ordered it over the phone from my (reasonably) local supplier using the manufacturer's part number taken from the short parts list in the boiler's Manual/Handbook. All this without physically double-checking the part number stamped on the existing vessel's green label, partly because it's a bitch to access without removing a load of gubbins from the boiler first. The new one is rectangular in shape and of 12 litres capacity, and the manual even obligingly shows a diagram of it as being a rectangular part too. However, upon (much) closer inspection, the existing and faulty unit is a ROUND one of only 8 litres capacity, instead!

More confusingly still, the new one has the air/tyre valve located on the top of the vessel, instead of at the bottom on the same side as the CH water union. Nor does this tally with the diagram in the handbook, which although of the same shape (rectangular) as the new one, shows the valve to be in the same position as my existing round vessel, i.e. easily accessible from beneath the boiler. This means that, assuming it will physically fit my boiler, the valve will no longer be accessible from the top (unless you possess octopus tentacles) for pressure checking and topping up. :-(

I have already sent an email to to Vaillant tech support asking them to advise if I can substitute this new one for the old round one, without altering any of the existing pipework connections etc., but in the meantime I thought I would ask here if anyone should know why the air valve has been relocated?

Also, as I mentioned earlier, the existing round unit is stamped as having an 8 litre capacity, whereas the new rectangular one is stamped as being 12 litres capacity. If this (unannounced) specification change from a rectangular to a round one is bona fide, then why would they also reduce the capacity of the expansion vessel? I would have thought more was better?

Pah! Nigel

Reply to
nrh

As far as I an tell from reading your article again, they increased the size. Yes, a bigger one reduces the cases where an extra vessel will be required in the installation.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In news:43bfb4a0$0$87294$ snipped-for-privacy@news.aaisp.net.uk, Andrew Gabriel scribed:

No, the original round one (and fitted since new) has only 8 litres capacity, whereas the replacement I ordered holds 12 litres.

To be more precise, the Vaillant Spares Part Number as listed in the manual is 18-1022 (G.C. 255 346), and shows it as a rectangular unit in the corresponding diagram. The new part I now have correctly shows that part number and is rectangular in shape (albeit with a repositioned air valve).

However, the existing faulty part fitted to the boiler since new has the part number 18-1030 (G.C. 283 674) stamped on it, and which needless to say does not tally with that shown in the manual.

Nigel p.s. The boiler is a Vaillant VCW GB 282 EH.

Reply to
nrh

Did the manual to which you refer come with the boiler when it was new - or is it a later version, downloaded from the internet or whatever?

It is quite possible that there has been a design change since your boiler was made - and that the specified replacement part is the later, larger one. Unless it doesn't fit at all - in which case the manual's wrong!

It's *even* possible that your boiler wasn't latest spec when you bought it - but the manual was!

Reply to
Set Square

In news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, Set Square scribed:

Came with boiler when I bought it new about 8 years ago. I replaced the secondary heat exchanger, which I came to understand was an extensively modified version of the original unit, and the manual diagram also shows the modification. So, I assumed that the manual was correct for this part too. :(

Tell me about it!

I wasn't going to fit it just yet, as I wanted to ensure it kept pressure after several weeks standing. Also, it being Winter, I don't want to run the risk of being without heat/hot water should I encounter problems. As I stated in an earlier post, I have emailed Vaillant asking them if I can use this 'new' part, and still await their reply. However, as the current unit is both smaller and round, I suspect the various bits of pipework connecting it to the CH water circuit may have been especially designed to fit that one and will not suit the new, larger unit. Unfortunately, as it is located right at the back of the boiler, I cannot get to it to take measurements for comparison purposes.

I hope to establish this when I hear from Vaillant. I would ring them, but their Tech Support line costs 50p/min, and would rather avoid that extra expense unless absolutely necessary!

Cheers for you interest. Nigel

Reply to
nrh

one idea might be to return the new expansion vessel and fit an external pressure vessel you can then size it yourself, its far easier to maintain and will probably work out cheaper.Depending on how much of a strip down fitting an internal vessel is, it will be a far easier job as well

Reply to
andrewd909

In news: snipped-for-privacy@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net scribed:

Thanks for your input. However, there is not really any available space to accomodate an external vessel within reasonable proximity to the boiler. Besides, I don't really know how I am going to be able to completely bypass the existing one without capping it off somehow.

By way of an update, I have just this minute received a reply from Vaillant Tech Support, who state the following:

"Thank you for your email.

You will need to replace the expansion vessel with the same type as the one already fitted, ie the 8 litre 181030.

Before ordering parts based on the original installation manual it is always best to check with our technical department (01634 292392 snipped-for-privacy@vaillant.co.uk) as the numbers are subject to change from the time when the manuals were originally produced.

Regards

Technical dept"

So there ya go. Just as well I didn't order it online, I guess. CBA with all that postage malarky, even though I paid a smidgen more for it from my local shed.

Kind regards to all Nigel

Reply to
nrh