Maffs question

Water companies: "Whinge whinge not enough water whine whine don't make too many ice cubes..."

Now, given that the Bewl Reservoir site is 1200 acres in size, the area of water is 770 acres, the length of the shoreline is 15 miles and the reservoir holds 6900 million gallons of water when it is full, and is currently 85% full, how much rain would it need to fill it?

1035 million gallons, obviously, but how much rain is that over its area? If we use a well known term: pissing down, how long would it take to fill the remaining 15% in pissing down conditions?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

It's not as simple as that! If it's like most other reservoirs, it won't get filled just by rain which falls directly into it - but by streams bringing water from many miles around.

Purely in terms of levels, if my calculations are correct, you would have to raise the level over 770 acres by nearly 5 feet in order to add 1035 million gallons. But, as I said above, you don't actually need 5 feet of rain (about

2 years' worth!) because you're collecting it from a much larger area.
Reply to
Roger Mills

I'm from sunny Newcastle. We have a spare reservoir up here (Kielder reservoir - its very nice). Why don't you ask if you can borrow it for a while? We never use it.

(no really - northumberland has a spare reservoir. its kinda funky really)

Reply to
Chris B 33

Yebbut you've also got water running out of the bottom, as well as consumption.

It's a bit like one of those 1950s School Maths questions about filling a bath, but it's a cracked fibreglass bath fed by two combi boilers on a domestic gas supply with a faulty governor on the metre.

Also, if it's raining, any people fishing in the reservoir are going to drink more thermoses of coffee, and pee more.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I believe it supplies Teesside

Reply to
me

I know. I said rainfall because they're always banging on about the lack of it causing all the problems...which it would do, but not just the rain falling on the reservoir of course. Anyway, the point was - is it likely to be filled to capacity even if it pissed down in the appropriate area for three months solid? Five feet is an awful lot.

I wonder then, what amount of rainfall would be necessary to fill it completely?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

We don't want no bloody norvern water! We might become friendly, sociable and approachable!

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

|> (no really - northumberland has a spare reservoir. its kinda funky |> really) | |I believe it supplies Teesside

No Kielder was built to supply the Heavy Industries of the North East, just before the collapse of the Heavy Industries, so it is substantially spare.

Also Yorkshire Water are a little nearer the South East, and are reporting reservoirs 91% full, just as they should be. They could flog you a few thousand tanker loads. We got water from Kielder when we had our drought

10 years ago.
Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

s/metre/meter.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The message from "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot" contains these words:

That'd depend on the slope of the sides.

My sister used to live just up the road from there, in Burnt Lodge Lane.

Reply to
Guy King

We in Leeds borrow it ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Alright then, you shan't have any!

So bloody there!!!

Hrumph.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

er - in the fifties did we have fibreglass baths and combi boilers?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Not just that: Bewl Water is filled partly by pumping from the River Teise and another river, I forget... All on their website. So it's a bit of a mixed bag.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Ask her if she knows.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

On Tue, 16 May 2006 21:49:58 +0100, "Mary Fisher" had this to say:

I hope you pay it back ...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Probably down South Mary, oop in t'North tha was just gettin indoor cludgies.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I thought a link was put in from the Tees (Worsall) to the Wiske, to feed Yorkshire's colander. So I think NW has sold it out to the leeky tykes.

Reply to
<me9

We have enough from the upper reaches of the Tees. The Tykes have a pipe from Worsall to fill up their collander. If the Tees runs low, NW can supply the Tykes from Keilder In the last drought they supplied them by road convoy from Longnewton reservoir.

Reply to
<me9

Quite right, it is a Ministry of Agriculture Foods and Fisheries question. So why not ask on a forums such as environment or agriculture or even the weather ones?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer