worm question

Well, when I was a kid we used to use an old telephone crank generator to bring them up but they are long gone. I have seen jumper cables from a car battery also used to connect to rods pushed into the ground (you need to water it or wait until it has rained, make sure the rods are far enough apart). Something else you might be interested in is "fiddling" worms. You pound a 1x whatever into the ground and then rub across the top with another board. The worms apparently think it is thunder and come up. Good luck

Reply to
dickwells

Yes, but it's extremely dangerous and so I'm not gonna get into exactly how to go about it that way....besides, they all seem to die within a few hours if you collect them using electricity.

===

IMO, better to just cut the lawn short and then go out after midnite with a flashlight...

Walk *very* softly, and avoid shining the light directly onto them for any longer than is *absolutely* necessary....they are quite sensitive to vibration and also seem to be able to sense the light.....

Generally, you'll see em laying on the grass at about 4-6 feet away--you gotta be real quick, and don't pull too hard or you'll end up with only 1/2 of a worm...but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy and actually is kinda fun....oh, and watering the grass real good in the early evening also seems to help.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

anyone know how to make the device that shocks worms out of theground? you know.... for fishing...lucas

Reply to
ds549

Ya, and you can go f*ck yourself too, pal.....

Well, with the method I used, they were up and outa the ground within only a couple minutes....Im guessing perhaps my field strength was just a bit too much....Ohm's law and all....and so I didn't do a whole lot more experimentation after that...

Still, I can't help but notice that you haven't given any specifics on the actual method you claim to have used....suggest either put up or shut up....

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

">

When we used to go after worms at night we used a red filter over the flashlight on the theory that it did not spook the worms as much as a white light.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

.... That lie alone is enough to discredit any advice you may give. I used to sell worms, from reddies to earth, and guess what method I used to get them to be up where they were easy to pick without turning much soil? Other than seined minnows, they're all we used to fish with; they were always as lively when we put them back in the tubs as when we took 'em out, long's we cared for the containers in between. What you rationalize isn't necessarily reality.

Pop

Reply to
Pop

Long ago, they used to "grunt" for worms. Back in the days when bread was a penny a loaf, and it was two miles by foot to school. (uphill in both directions)

A person would take two oaken barrel staves. One would be pounded into the ground until solid. The other would be rasped over the one pounded in the ground. The resultalt low frequency vibrations would cause the worms to get nervous (or get a migraine, or whatever) and come up.

I have always wanted to try this, as it would be fun like starting a fire with sticks. Not much use in today's world, but just a nostalgic visitation to another time and place.

I had heard of this method when I was a kid. (I'm 56), so it goes back a ways. And I heard it from more than one relative.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

This is Turtle.

I've shocked worms out of the ground YEARS ago but found soaping them out is much easier and no danger to do so.

1/4 cup of cheap cloths washing powder and mix it in a 10 gallion bucket of water and then pour it on a area and every worm will come out of the ground with in 3 to 5 minutes. This is a whole lot easier than shocking.

If you really want the diagram on making the worm shocker. e-mail me and I will detail it for you because it has certain things that have to be don't or it will not work.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

did U shock them up?

Reply to
Joe

you can mix up a mild solution of potassium permanganate and flush it on the ground. Won't hurt anything and the worms will come to the surface. PP is a softwater cleaning chemical you can find at a Culligan or Sears.

Reply to
djay

You sure you didn't hear about this from the same folks who wanted you to be the bag holder for snipe hunting?

Reply to
Andy Hill

Actually I heard it from respected members of my family that are now deceased. Would you like to make any further childish comments about them?

Why is it that people cannot understand or accept anything that does not originate in their own small brains? I have never seen the Statue of Liberty. But I believe it because others have seen it, and have told me about it.

If you are so intelligent, so full of information, so knowledgeable about everything in the world there is to know about, what in the world are you doing wasting your valuable time here on usenet with us regular people?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Oof! Yes, we did. We rigged up a couple of probes to stick into the soil on a 2x4, and wired them thru a double-pole switch. Stick the probes in, turn on for a minute or so, go pick the worms. Not the safest thing in the world, but no one was near it when it was turned on. Always meant to put a timer on it, never did. Best food we found? Used coffee grounds.

Sorry about the omission Pop

Reply to
Pop

Interesting; wouldn't you have to water first? How many gallons of that mixture for how much area would you use? Is it cheap? Sounds a lot safer than electricity, that's for sure.

Pop

Reply to
Pop

Oh but you missed the most important part......

I'M ALSO A WORM KILLER!!!

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Idiot...

You forgot to post your address !!!

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Whoa, Steve, maybe it's time to switch to decaf for a bit, eh?

My smartass comments aside, looks like worm grunting ain't in the same class as snipe hunting. There's even a worm grunting festival down in Florida every year. Wouldn't have thought it...every time I walk across a yard with nightcrawlers part way out of their holes, they pull in as soon as they feel the vibrations from my footsteps. Thanks for the info!

Reply to
Andy Hill

Hehe.

May be a crappy job...still, someone's gotta do it!!!

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Interesting; wouldn't you have to water first? How many gallons of that mixture for how much area would you use? Is it cheap? Sounds a lot safer than electricity, that's for sure.

Pop

Sorry this is soooooo damn late getting back to you.... I didn't realize anyone had asked until I searched this damned NG for my name! The stuff I have is in crystal form and it will stain your fingers/clothes etc so you need to be careful! If I was to "rain on" 500 sq ft. I'd mix up about 1 tsp of PP in a lawn fertilizer sprayer (like the ortho one that you hookup to your garden hose) and spray the area for 20 minutes. The worms will just come to the surface. Pick them up and put them into cool soil/ whatever for use whenever you want.

DJay

Reply to
djay

I use potassium permanganate to kill parasites in my fish pond. Anyone using and storing it should be aware that it is a very strong oxidizing agent. Care should be taken not to mix it with or store it near gasoline, acids, fertilizers or anything containing glycerin or glycol and probably a bunch of other chemicals. The chemical reaction can cause spontaneous combustion or even an explosion.

CR

Reply to
CR