M-Vision HD-200 Combo satellite receiver.

Have one of these which died. The usual cap problem in the SMPS. Now fixed, with all voltages ok.

The satellite receiver now works, but the FreeView one only sort of does, showing low signal level (less than 50%) and freezing regularly. I've checked the UHF feed into it which is fine. Shows over 90% on another box, which works ok. The aerial loop through on it is also ok.

Just wondering if it's worth trying to source a new FreeView tuner for it?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Could the rf input transistor have been trashed by static or something? Not seen inside current tuners to know what sort of tech they use. Its probably some chip these days. (thinks back with yearning to those old tuners that one could change the bits of easily... Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That sort of occurred to me as I've been re-jigging things. I did have a look inside the tuner (it's a separate unit from the dish one) and it has a few micro processors. Not quite sure who M-Vision is - it came from CPC quite a few years ago - and suspect they won't supply spares. Just hoping it might be a generic unit.

I could remove it to have a better look - although that isn't easy. And I suspect the main box may not work software wise without it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Historically the tuner side is a generic module that takes UHF in and data out, I doubt it would be a proprietary design.

Philips used to make a few, where the Chinese typically cloned them!

Reply to
Fredxxx

Is it likely to be identified in some easy way? And where to get a spare?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)