Lucky escape

Last night we had an alarm up on our dishwasher due to something jamming the drain pump. I told my wife to leave it 'til the next day, as I'd been doing a lot and wasn't up to getting the machine out, drained and upended to access the pump. She ignored me and a few hours later tried it again, resulting in water pouring out over the kitchen floor and the RCD tripping.
Naturally, we mopped up the spill (while I shouted at her!) and I unplugged the machine. However every time I turned that ring back on, the RCD tripped. There was no way water could have reached the sockets (they are above the machines) and there are no junction boxes under the floor that could have got wet, so no obvious reason for the problem.
I started to unlug anything on that ring and found the tumble-dryer's moulded-on plug (dryer was not in use) badly melted and very hot. Further investigation showed the pins to be bright and clean and totally unmarked by heat. The front of the socket was also damaged, but internally was fine. It appears that the overtemperature has been on the fuse clips or their rivetted connections. While the body of the plug is badly melted and distorted, the fuseholder is blackened, charred and badly out of shape.
Both plug and socket replaced today and everything seems to be running cool.
Very odd that both events should occur simultaneously, but without the dishwasher tripping the RCD, the tumble-dryer plug could easily have started a fire - especially being close to a basket of already dried clothes.
Very lucky escape.
SteveW
On Sun, 06 Aug 2017 22:02:35 +0100, Steve Walker wrote:
[...]
Defective Chinese plugs to blame I'll wager.
On 06/08/2017 22:24, Cursitor Doom wrote:

Unfortunately, the plug is now too melted for me to look for a country of origin on it.
SteveW
family.me.uk> escribió: >Unfortunately, the plug is now too melted for me to look for a country

A pic would be nice for the Hall of Infamy.
--
(\_/)

Never seen the point of a tumble drier. Just hang the clothes outside, or in the bathroom over the bath.
--
The little boat gently drifted across the pond exactly the way a bowling ball wouldn't.

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

Oh do fuck off Hucker! You do not even have hot running water in your hovel. 11 cats, several parrots, no hot running water and you can't even afford to buy disinfectant. You must stink. No wonder you can't get a woman.
On Sun, 6 Aug 2017 23:28:25 +0100, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

I believe he's one of those psychos that are actually "proud" of their stink.
Steve Walker wrote:

Apparently the household appliances that cause the most fires are washing machines. Saw that on the telly. I'd have gone for tumble dryers ........
On 06-Aug-17 11:23 PM, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote: ...

That is probably because 97% of households have washing machines, but only 56% have tumble dryers. Tumble dryers could be 70% more likely to burst into flames and still not cause as many fires.

Colin Bignell
On 07/08/2017 09:38, Nightjar wrote:

Plus many households are still not "too posh to peg out" and dry washing outside when weather permits, so the ratio of _use_ of WM/dryer is even higher
--
Robin

SWMBO always pegs the washing out if it's dry outside. Why would one not do that? (Assuming there's space etc)
--
"It is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
On 07-Aug-17 11:21 AM, Tim Streater wrote:

It is quicker to put the washing into the tumble dryer.

Colin Bignell
On Monday, 7 August 2017 12:16:13 UTC+1, Nightjar wrote:

And the washing's less likely to be nicked.
Owain
snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote :

Who, or in what sort of area, would anyone want to steal washing?
Maybe Owain's fallen prey to the local knicker-sniffer.
--
(\_/)
jim <k> wrote:

Perhaps one of our own pervs would say if they get pleasure sniffing freshly laundered knickers?
--
*If at first you don't succeed, avoid skydiving.*

On Wednesday, 9 August 2017 11:22:16 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

arry.m1b

I have always assumed they are slightly differnt type of perves. As I'm not sure if freshly laundered knickers would smell much differnt to freshly laundered socks, I have seen women sniffing their washing even on a ds on the TV, and have heard women are good at sniffing baby shit it helps them bond with their new sprog, and helps them itentify it from others. Weird way to ID a kid, why not just stick a barcode on them or get them mic rochiped ?
Perhaps women are differnt from men dispite all the PC equality crap.
escribió:

They tend to howl a bit when you do that.

On 10/08/2017 12:14, whisky-dave wrote:

Or a tattoo. Probably with the suspected fathers name or something.
--
Adam

Only one person here has raided a woman's knicker drawer on TV....
--
Adam