Last night we had an alarm up on our dishwasher due to something jamming
the drain pump. I told my wife to leave it 'til the next day, as I'd
been doing a lot and wasn't up to getting the machine out, drained and
upended to access the pump. She ignored me and a few hours later tried
it again, resulting in water pouring out over the kitchen floor and the
Naturally, we mopped up the spill (while I shouted at her!) and I
unplugged the machine. However every time I turned that ring back on,
the RCD tripped. There was no way water could have reached the sockets
(they are above the machines) and there are no junction boxes under the
floor that could have got wet, so no obvious reason for the problem.
I started to unlug anything on that ring and found the tumble-dryer's
moulded-on plug (dryer was not in use) badly melted and very hot.
Further investigation showed the pins to be bright and clean and totally
unmarked by heat. The front of the socket was also damaged, but
internally was fine. It appears that the overtemperature has been on the
fuse clips or their rivetted connections. While the body of the plug is
badly melted and distorted, the fuseholder is blackened, charred and
badly out of shape.
Both plug and socket replaced today and everything seems to be running cool.
Very odd that both events should occur simultaneously, but without the
dishwasher tripping the RCD, the tumble-dryer plug could easily have
started a fire - especially being close to a basket of already dried
Very lucky escape.