LPG hose deterioration

Two years ago I changed over from a fixed LPG cylinder (where a tanker comes & tops it up), to bottles. I fitted an automatic changeover valve and regulator.

At the weekend I smelled gas, and on investigation found that the rubber hoses connecting the bottles to the regulator have both deteriorated to the point that they are leaking, and bending them a bit to figure out what was going on, has left them with gaping holes.The hoses are marked as complying to BS 3212, so I assume these are the correct hoses for the application. The whole thing is installed outside in a pretty shady location.

So, how long should they last? Should they be replaced on a regular basis? Can I buy better ones?

Cheers, Dave.

Reply to
Bodgit

Yes the hoses should be replaced on a regular basis but to be leaking in two years is extreme. Is there a manufacturers date visible on the rubber? Also are they rated for high pressure or has someone made up a set with low pressure hose?

I used to source my parts from BES who you will fiind with Google

Reply to
cynic

Yes to the last.

There is 20 year life stainless, overbraided hose (which will protect it from sunlight) and BS3212 hose which has lasted me well over the years (10 years, no sign of deterioration).

Reply to
Steve Firth

if the link above wraps.

Reply to
Dave Osborne

It looks like the manufacture date is 30/07 (which I assume is week/ year), so it looks like it's about 3 years old.

Reply to
Bodgit

Thanks for that - this states that one should expect 5 years or so at least.

As they're reasonably cheap, I think I'll just replace the hoses and see what happens.

Cheers all for the replies.

Reply to
Bodgit

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Bodgit saying something like:

Strictly, you should replace them yearly or two-yearly, but mostly they get forgotten and ignored for several years. That one has deteriorated so quickly is more of an indicator of bad manufacture.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

LPG hoses have a limited life, they are stamped with a date. Check the date when you buy like you would do when purchasing food in a supermarket. It has been known that shops that sell these things might sell you old stock which have passed their use by date or may be close to their use by date. Make sure they are installed such as to be shaded from the sun.

(reminder!!!!, I must check the date on mine) Don

Reply to
Donwill

Ummm - 20 years ago my LPG gas was installed and I've never even realised that this was a likely problem. I'm also just wondering if the connection to the hob is flexible too - likely ?

Fortunately my gas bottles are on the north side of the house, but today's little task will be to go an check them.

Thanks for flagging this up.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

I've just dissected the hose. There is an inner braided hose wrapped in a rubber layer. I guess that the rubber layer is just to protect the inner hose from mechanical damage, UV, and to stop it being bent in too tight a radius. I think with mine, the inner hose is damaged where it's crimped onto the fitting, so it was relying on the rubber layer to keep it gas tight. The rubber layer on the second hose is cracked in the same way, but it's not leaking, so I think it's just a manufacturing problem with the one hose.

Thanks for all the replies.

Dave.

Reply to
Bodgit