Looking for spare battery for Ferm drill

I've got a Ferm 12v drill/driver from Screwfix;

could do with a second battery though, - does anyone know of a UK supplier for these, or if there is a suitable compatible product?

Reply to
Mike Hall

Yup just order product id 46130 from screwfix (you will find they include a free drill in the package when it is delivered. You can either throw this away or keep it for a spare!)

Failing that, send the pack you have to

and they can stick some decent cells in it. It will last twice as long and work much better after that.

Reply to
John Rumm

Well that is a bargain deal.... ! :-)

Reply to
Mike Hall

Well it's not bad - I would normally expect to pay more than that for a battery pack on its own! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Never heard of them before, sounds a really good idea, especially the bit where they say you can save 50% on the cost of new OEM batteries. But I just looked to see how much it would cost for a new 14.4V battery for my all-singing all-dancing (ahem) B&Q Performance Pro driver, and it was 44 quid! And the tool itself only cost me 24 quid IIRC. But I suppose they're talking about 'Proper' batteries for 'Proper' power tools, eh?

David

Reply to
Lobster

That may be a clue as to the quality of the supplied pack.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Definitely. A cheapo 1200mAh Nicad SUB-C can be had for about 1.50 a cell, a top of the range 3300mAh NIMH is over 3quid a cell.

The 1700 Nicad is a nice one - good capacity and power delivery and takes the abuse. I am not a NiMh fan particularly.

3300 cells are being advertised on Ebay in the R/C models section.

A sensible cost replacement is this one

1.95 a cell. Not sanyo, and probably less good than a sanyo, but good enough for a cheap power tool.

12 of those is going to rock you about 27 quid, with postage.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So do most powertool batteries use the same cells (and are these SUB-C items typically the ones?)

Is it a feasible diy job to get into the (apparently sealed?) battery packs and replace the cells?

David

Reply to
Lobster

I am pretty sure all power tools use Sub-c's. Your toothbrish may not.

well, there's the rub.

Some can be unscrewed and split, and the cells are generally

spot welded to tabs, soldering coaxouter braid in is a viable

alternative. Some are moulded in, and here it may be a question of hacking to pieces, using the connector, and moulding your own pack out of car body filler etc :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher