Looking for hinges that sort of 'unfold' when you open them

I'm sure I've seen these but I'm not sure what they're called. They're used on cabinet lids, posh furniture doors, etc. They are concealed (from the outside) but when you open the door/lid/whatever they extend a bit and allow opening further than would normally be the case.

Can anyone tell me what they're called?

Reply to
Chris Green

cantilevered hinge?

SH

Hmm, not sure, your link just took me to a description of standard kitchen door hinges. What I'm looking for definitely isn't an ordinary kitchen cupboard door hinge. It's more likely found on jewellery cases and antique writing desks and such.

Reply to
Chris Green

Double cranked door/cabinet hinge?

Chris Hogg

That's a possible solution for what I want but it's not the sort of hinge I'm remembering/imagining still.

Reply to
Chris Green

Would it be one of these, eg '165deg full overlay'?

Theo

One brand I found (of what I think you mean) is Gedotec Zysa and similar.

(Amazon just to get you to the names & descriptions...)

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

As I said above they're mostly *kitchen* cabinet hinges and that's definitely not what I'm after. The hinges I'm thinking of (imagining?) are smaller and, if you like, floppier when open. They're not for holding the weight of a door, just for the lid of a small[ish] box or something like that.

Reply to
Chris Green

Yes, that's more like it, thank you! I can now try a few more searches with a better chance of finding what I want.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Chris Green

They usually also contain a little device to make them close when they are nearly shut. They do seen to come in various forms, many of them are meant to be embedded in a cupboard door recess and have fingers that rotate and protrude into the chipboard around the hole, that is fine unless like me you decide to hang a bin on the inside of one of them and they fall out!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Possibly Soss hinges? They mostly do posh heavy hinges for doors etc, but have some smaller cabinet types ...

Andy Burns

Not quite. I've gone a slightly different route now anyway.

The hinges I'm remembering/imagining are not hidden like the above ones in the body of the door/panel. They mount on the back (like a kitchen concealed hinge) but when you open the box/whatever they extend and let you open the lid as far as you like, beyond what even a kitchen 170 degree on allows.

Reply to
Chris Green

I think my grandparents had a cabinet with "scissor" hinges, probably today you'd get a gas strut instead

Reply to
Andy Burns

Okay.

"folding screen hinge"? goes nearly 360°...

or like this:

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

THESE THINGS ARE CALLED OFFSET HINGES. Just google for a million examples

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher